Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In previous postings members have asked about how to improve mileage. The only response usable was to check the choke.

My mileage sucks- 38-40mpg. I weigh 220 lb. I really want to understand how people are getting 50+ mpg. How? Are there carb adjustments that I need to check? What pressure are folks running their tires at?

I drive a 2001 Vol., with about 2200 miles on it. The previous owner drilled a ring of holes in the rear baffles. Added a front light bar. No other mods.
Is the choke troublesome?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I get the same. 35-40 in town.

Out of town I get 45-55 all interstate.

I am with ya brother. I want to see 50 all the time!!!

Lets see.... working 2.5 miles from home, 200 miles to a tank....
Thats 80 trips...... or 40 working days, or 2 months on one tank.

Dang it... i want 50. And don't tell me to lose weight.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have Vance and Hines straights and have opened my mix up to 3 turns.
no rejet(yet).. I get around 43 to 50 mpg.. I go about 170lbs
.. front tire 29 ,, rear 36.. I can tell a difference when I stay in it,, or ride in town..
..Doug

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't confuse Volusia mileage for C50... Different animal in that fuel injection on a c50 completely shuts off fuel when coasting or engine braking... just sucks air as opposed to fuel and air on the carbureted volusia.Besides the feulie mixes and meters better. You would be surprised at how many little changes in throttle position a person unwittingly makes while driveing, . You could make it a practice to coast down with the clutch disengaged when stopping and this does help some with mileage . After a muffler drilling session ,the mileage suffered .down 2 mpg. ( stock air box/filter). I rejetted afterwards. The dynajet kit instructions recommended using a 128 mainjet and their kits needle . This jet was visibly smaller than the one stock i pulled from the bike .Stock tho the mainjet was larger , the bike ran leaner in the middle rpms because the stock needles taper was really like a bow ... So at mid throttle the bike ran E.P.A. lean . It took forever to warmup and wouldnt run at 50 degrees outside temps without the choke set out all the time. Since rejet no problems.. And get this Stock mufflers I would get 42 mpg on blue highways , at 60 moh , post muffler drill and prior to rejet 40 and post rejet I now get 44, sometimes more, (45) . My experience at slight improvement isnt at all unusual ..after all in order to shake that odd feeling that something heavy is being dragged behind your bike you would use the accelerator pump on the throttle to hunt around that uncomfortable lean spot the bike is running in . . As a side note I see a few posts about soot on tailite lenses and such after a rejet /debaffle. .. I believe this is because the accerator pump on the carburetor pumps more fuel to makeup for the lean needle taper I'd mentioned earlier. .. So when PROPERLY jetted ,the pump is giving out too much fuel ,, but I would leave it set as is.. I wonder if the test bikes that Suzuki sent the EPA to certify werent somehow played with , slightly disabled accelorator pump combined with the lean jetting to pass air Quality .. My advice firstly dont worry about it !! if you feel you have to do SOMETHING.. buy the dynojet kit and follow its recommendations in jetting ... Dont whatever You do put the K& N filter in the stock air box or put an after market air box on or whatever ... leave the intake side alone .. All this for best MPG , Ya want more Horses go change out the auirbox.. but stock is best for mpg. , the 128 main , dyna spring and drilled pipes is a good setup ..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Stan. Good, tangible, things to know. Erik

Stan Wilk said:
Don't confuse Volusia mileage for C50... Different animal in that fuel injection on a c50 completely shuts off fuel when coasting or engine braking... just sucks air as opposed to fuel and air on the carbureted volusia.Besides the feulie mixes and meters better. You would be surprised at how many little changes in throttle position a person unwittingly makes while driveing, . You could make it a practice to coast down with the clutch disengaged when stopping and this does help some with mileage . After a muffler drilling session ,the mileage suffered .down 2 mpg. ( stock air box/filter). I rejetted afterwards. The dynajet kit instructions recommended using a 128 mainjet and their kits needle . This jet was visibly smaller than the one stock i pulled from the bike .Stock tho the mainjet was larger , the bike ran leaner in the middle rpms because the stock needles taper was really like a bow ... So at mid throttle the bike ran E.P.A. lean . It took forever to warmup and wouldnt run at 50 degrees outside temps without the choke set out all the time. Since rejet no problems.. And get this Stock mufflers I would get 42 mpg on blue highways , at 60 moh , post muffler drill and prior to rejet 40 and post rejet I now get 44, sometimes more, (45) . My experience at slight improvement isnt at all unusual ..after all in order to shake that odd feeling that something heavy is being dragged behind your bike you would use the accelerator pump on the throttle to hunt around that uncomfortable lean spot the bike is running in . . As a side note I see a few posts about soot on tailite lenses and such after a rejet /debaffle. .. I believe this is because the accerator pump on the carburetor pumps more fuel to makeup for the lean needle taper I'd mentioned earlier. .. So when PROPERLY jetted ,the pump is giving out too much fuel ,, but I would leave it set as is.. I wonder if the test bikes that Suzuki sent the EPA to certify werent somehow played with , slightly disabled accelorator pump combined with the lean jetting to pass air Quality .. My advice firstly dont worry about it !! if you feel you have to do SOMETHING.. buy the dynojet kit and follow its recommendations in jetting ... Dont whatever You do put the K& N filter in the stock air box or put an after market air box on or whatever ... leave the intake side alone .. All this for best MPG , Ya want more Horses go change out the auirbox.. but stock is best for mpg. , the 128 main , dyna spring and drilled pipes is a good setup ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts