Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
So.......I dusted my bike off yesterday and when I ran the towel over the hot heat shield it melted to it immediately.

Now.....how do I get it off? I tried Goof Off and brake cleaner and neither worked. Last resort is a 4.5" angle grinder.....
When I melted my frog toggs onto my exhaust I used oven cleaner. Didnt harm the chrome at all. Look it up

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I just spent 3 days out by Doug in Spring Grove working at a paper mill. It was called Glatfelter but now it's Pixelle.
I am guessing your PPE included a clothespin for your nose, while you were there. Or did you use the coroner's method of dabbing vaseline on your upper lip?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I am guessing your PPE included a clothespin for your nose, while you were there. Or did you use the coroner's method of dabbing vaseline on your upper lip?
I could be wrong, but I think it's Vicks vaporub.
Not vaseline.

Protip:
Never confuse the two, ever. ;)

Reactions: htlong

·
Super Moderator
58,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Quick recap:

Heat pipes.

Rub with gray Mastic t-shirt to get off what you can avoiding the silk screen.

Finish with 00 steel wool.

Social distancing since 1954

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lacquer thinner!!! Then follow it up with Mother's chrome polish. Almost eveything else will leave scratches in the chrome. Trust me on this one! I learned this method restoring the factory exhaust on a 1980 Suzuki GS1000G with over 80,000 miles on the clock. It takes time but removes everything. I've helped others remove polar fleece, rain pants. road tar, etc. It works. Medium pressure, swapping cloths often, and patience is the key. Well, a comfortable stool and six-pack helps as also!;)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts