Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.......I dusted my bike off yesterday and when I ran the towel over the hot heat shield it melted to it immediately.

Now.....how do I get it off? I tried Goof Off and brake cleaner and neither worked. Last resort is a 4.5" angle grinder.....

·
Super Moderator
25,722 Posts
Had a saddle bag melt to the pipe once. The best thing I found was to scrape it off carefully with the back edge of my pocket knife. The chrome on the pipe was strong enough to handle it and the cooled material just popped right off of it.

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
Bob, I did some online research. There are several suggestions in these links, from low-tech (copper penny as scraper) to tough chemicals (EasyOff oven cleaner).

If you try EasyOff, I can tell you from experience to mask off everything on the bike but what you intend to spray, and rinse the heck out of everything when you are finished.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Hmmmmm.
I might try a propane torch to remelt the gunk, then try to get as much off as I could using a putty knife or something.
(I have a hard time believing any solvent is going to do it.)
Then I'd go back with a copper chore boy once it's cooled off.
They make copper coated stainless, and another that's pure copper.
The pure copper one would probably be the most gentle on the crome.
They're kind of hard to find.
The last time I needed some I had to order them online.

Lastly a buffer wheel in a drill would probably finish it up.

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had some rubber from the sole of a boot melt on mine, I used a razor blade and carefully ran it parallel on the muffler to get almost all of it off than finished it up with some chrome polish. When I was finished you couldn’t see where the rubber had been. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
58,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, thanks for the input everyone. I haven't tackled that job yet. Just trying to get some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
58,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Between taking a coffee walk, making breakfast, magnet fishing, grocery shopping, taking another walk or 3, making pork carnitas tacos, drinking sangria, having the neighbor over for a conference, having a few cigars, watching youtube, and walking some more I haven't had time.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Well, if you weren't gonna get on it right away, why did you even bother to ask?
Wasting our time and keeping us in suspense and all that.

Dammit Bob. ;)

·
Registered
19,610 Posts
Get the pipes hot, then wipe off the burnt plastic with a cotton towel. I have had to remove melted rain suits, melted saddle bags and even part of a melted shoe before.

Reactions: Duffy and beezer

·
Registered
17 Posts
So.......I dusted my bike off yesterday and when I ran the towel over the hot heat shield it melted to it immediately.

Now.....how do I get it off? I tried Goof Off and brake cleaner and neither worked. Last resort is a 4.5" angle grinder.....
Wade up some aluminum foil get it saturated with water and then scrub it on the heat shield and it’ll take all of it off and it won’t damage the chrome whatsoever it’ll make it look like brand new and you can do that on anything that is stuck on any type of chrome and it’ll remove any type of particulate from chrome and will take it back to brand new

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wade up some aluminum foil get it saturated with water and then scrub it on the heat shield and it’ll take all of it off and it won’t damage the chrome whatsoever it’ll make it look like brand new and you can do that on anything that is stuck on any type of chrome and it’ll remove any type of particulate from chrome and will take it back to brand new
This stupid spell check or correct let me correct that myself “wad”

·
Registered
634 Posts
I used aluminum foil and coke (cola) to remove rusted chrome & it works

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
20,412 Posts
You could have Dennis talk to it.....he'll bore the smudge to death and it'll just fall off on it's own. 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

1 - 20 of 49 Posts