Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my CTX. It's the perfect blend of cruiser and sport bike with more power than any other motorcycle I have ever ridden. But the 200 mm rear tire tends to not last very long on the 700 pound motorcycle. The OEM tires and the Dunlop sport wore very quickly, Meaning I was doing multiple tire changes in a single riding season. 2 years ago I switched back to the metzler ME888 and they performed flawlessly but as they wore the compound got very hard and somewhat slippery especially in the wet. I needed a new set of tires this year and having had run the michelins in the past thought I would give the commander 3A try.

The commander 3 was released at the end of January as a replacement for the venerable commander 2. I ran that combination on my Vulcan and was very pleased with them. The commander 3 offers of similar tread pattern but new com pounding and an estimated 30% increase in durability. This past week I put just under a 1000 miles on the CTX and road in all conditions, the commander 3 performed flawlessly. From long hours on the slab at 80 miles an hour too tight mountain twisties In the rain the tires really shined. They offer a smooth quiet comfortable ride with plenty of grip in all conditions. I would not hesitate to put this on my bike again or to recommend them to anyone looking for a premium motorcycle tire. The lighter nature of the C50 would lend itself to even longer wear then what I can expect on my much heavier bike. True to all michelin's the tires aren't cheap, but based off of what I experienced this last week they are well worth the price.

·
Super Moderator
20,788 Posts
wanted to get the commanders for my c90 a few years back and unfortunately size was not available for my mc...be interesting to see if thats changed since...been using the metz 888 and happy with them but have always heard good things about the commanders.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just had 2's mounted on my bike a few weeks ago. When they asked my what I wanted, I said 2's, I didn't even know there were 3's.
It's all good, though. I'll get 3's the next time...which will be a while. These tires last.

I was really glad to get rid of the Pirelli's that were on the bike when I bought it. The Commanders are far superior and I felt the difference in the smoothness of handling right away.
It's good to have them back.

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Ive had my 2's for a few years now and love them. Now I'll have a tough choice of staying with the 2's or trying the 3's next change over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts