Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a metallic rattle noise like a marble in a coffee can seemingly coming form the right side of the motor... maybe even from behind the lower trans cover. I really can't tell.

History: 2004 Volusia, 18,000 miles. I had just recently done anther valve job. I noticed the sound after downshifting from 5th to 4th and rolling on hard to pass someone.

I can hear the noise while in neutral and of course in gear. It seems to increase in speed as the motor goes up in RPM. However, it doesn't really seem to have a specific cadence. I'm not really sure where to start to look. I've read about the timing tensioner but I just don't know. Also, there doesn't seem to be any lose of power while riding.

Any help?

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Cam chain tensioner most likely. I assume you've never run it low on oil, right?

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
Could be the clutch is loose, but I really think your cam chain tensioner has gone south.

·
Registered
19,502 Posts
No way to diagnose a sound without tearing into the engine. The easiest would be to remove the clutch cover on the right side and take a look at the internals. At the worst, it will cost you a new gasket.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No way to diagnose a sound without tearing into the engine. The easiest would be to remove the clutch cover on the right side and take a look at the internals. At the worst, it will cost you a new gasket.
Is there a way to inspect the cam tensioners without removing the motor?

·
Registered
670 Posts
No, your cylinder heads have to come off from what i saw in the manual...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I got back to the bike a little bit and re-checked the valves. The rear valves were correct but the front exhaust and intake were tight as hell. I think I messed up when I did them a while back and forgot to move the front cylinder to TDC before adjusting the valves. I readjusted the front valves the right way, put it all back together and the engine sounds better but the noise is still there.
I've watched a few other cam chain videos and my noise is more erratic than what I've heard so far.:blackeye:

Here is a video I took this weekend. after redoing the front cylinder's valves the right way. Listen for the erratic ticking. Any ideas? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW21_KWtX2Q&list=UUs8nBufEUDbvHIDTrm8eVsA

1 - 9 of 9 Posts