Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a fleece blanket accidentally fall on my pipes after riding and heat from the pipes burned the fleece right on to the pipes and messed up the chrome. I wondering if I can take the pipes off and get them cleaned ( probably have to sand them down ) and re-chromed.

Anybody had any experience refinishing their exhaust pipes that you can share some things that might create concern?

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Try cleaning the spot with easy off oven cleaner. You prob have melted plastic on the chrome and the pipes are prob fine.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Yes I've used easy-off..... Get the pipes warm not super hot but warm enough you can't touch them. Carefully spray the easy-0off on the pipes (or a cotton rag) and let it sit for a while. I used cardboard to protect the paint on the bike from overspray. I don't think it would hurt the piaint but didn't want to find out.

Oh... and welcome to the site.....

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
The Volusianator said:
I'd use an angle grinder! :lol:
lmao

By the way bglen... just in case... not that you would.... dont do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses

I think I'll stick with the oven cleaner approach, I never thought of that. As for the "angle grinder", I see that even this forum has some who really don't care about constructive advise, but you'll have that.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
bglen,

if that doesn't work (if vOluia says it might then there's a good chance it will) and you decide to rechrome or ceramic coat your pipes, then I would consult wildman because he has done allot of research on the topic.

good luck

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Also with a light oil (wd40, 3 in 1) and 0000 steel wool a lot of stuff will come off without scratching your chrome. Also Bule Job works ok.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Re: Thanks for the responses

bglen said:
I think I'll stick with the oven cleaner approach, I never thought of that. As for the "angle grinder", I see that even this forum has some who really don't care about constructive advise, but you'll have that.
There is also those with out a sense of humor but you'll have that too :D :D

See doesn't smily faces make it all better.

CG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts