Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So did my first oil change on my bike and it had a K&N filter, pre-stripped I suppose from either the guy wrenching on it to tighten it, or someones attempt to remove it. I had a little bite but could tell it was 'slipping' so tried my best to keep it from going the rest of the way but omg this thing was tight.. so vice grips and one of those claw type filter grabbers and about an hour:

Wiped it off with a degreaser to get extra grip, even stuck some flex tape on that thing.. it was sooo tight.

That oil was pretty old, it didn't smell very nice and was almost black. Bike is 7 years but only 5k miles have no idea of its history.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had a similar wrestling match with an oil filter when I first changed the oil on my previous bike. The former owner must have put that thing on with an impact wrench.
I ended up ramming a large screwdriver through the filter and leveraging it off that way.
Not exactly by the book. :rolleyes:

Reactions: DickB

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was afraid I'd rip the shell off and make things worse, in the back of my head I wanted to maybe be able to refill the oil and take it to a shop to get it removed. I haven't been even doing my car oil changes for years because they don't allow 'car repairs' in the driveway, I might get a nasty letter doing my bike oil but wanted to do as much as I can to save $$ on the bike. It was about 3-4 turns before I could use my hand to turn it off, idk maybe they didn't oil the gasket.. It did kinda 'squeal' when I was turning it.

Mission accomplished tho, did the rear oil as well, that was easy.

·
Super Moderator
21,074 Posts
never understand the logic some use when putting on a new filter...just hand tighten. Simple. Glad you finally got it off...ride safe.

·
Registered
19,691 Posts
The manual instructs the user to hand tighten, then an additional quarter turn past tight, to ensure a good seal on the oil filter gasket. Many people tend to use a tool to tighten the filter, with adds way too much torque. I have a small and large set of vice grips, specifically for removing stubborn filter. It doesn't really matter what damage I'm doing to the housing, just so long as it comes off.

Reactions: phillychuck

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had a similar wrestling match with an oil filter when I first changed the oil on my previous bike. The former owner must have put that thing on with an impact wrench.
I ended up ramming a large screwdriver through the filter and leveraging it off that way.
Not exactly by the book. :rolleyes:
I had to do that on a cage once. Tore up so much metal I wasn't sure it would ever come off.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
People are idiots at times! Hand tighten plus a quarter turn is all that is needed. Be sure to put some oil on the filter rubber gasket before you install it. It won't fall off with vibration either. If your bike vibrates that much, you got a lot more to worry about than a loose filter. LOL

Ride Sage & Often!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My manual and service manual both say to tighten the filter down until you feel the gasket contact the surface and then go two full turns past that! I can never get it that tight and in my opinion, that way too tight!

·
Registered
960 Posts
The way my crash bars are on my C50 make it really hard to get the filter off & out of the bike. Even with filters on not too tight, it's a contortionist.act to get that dang filter free of the bike. I've got it down now....only took me 5 yrs.

Reactions: phillychuck

·
Registered
20,591 Posts
I have to loosen my crash bars to remove the filter. It only adds about a minute to the time so I don't care.

·
Super Moderator
21,074 Posts
could always upgrade to a C90...I remember I too had to remove the bottom bolts on my cobra bars on my 04 Volusia when I did my oil changes...was surprised when I got my C90 that also had the bars on that it was unnecessary to loosen the bars. Even quicker job with the c90.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My manual and service manual both say to tighten the filter down until you feel the gasket contact the surface and then go two full turns past that! I can never get it that tight and in my opinion, that way too tight!
That's definitely way too tight. I remember reading, and then ignoring that advice.

It's hard for me to get a good grip on the filter with my wretched hands, so I seat the filter as best I can and then carefully use a wrench to tighten it up to what feels about right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
People are idiots at times! Hand tighten plus a quarter turn is all that is needed. Be sure to put some oil on the filter rubber gasket before you install it. It won't fall off with vibration either. If your bike vibrates that much, you got a lot more to worry about than a loose filter. LOL

Ride Sage & Often!
The filter is actually under a bit of pressure when the bike is running. It won’t ‘slip off’. Hand tighten should be enough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yep, that's what's on page 25 of the Suzuki VL800 service manual. Myself, having wrenched for a lot of years, I knew that couldn't be correct. Never went more than a quarter turn after gasket contact on any bike, and never saw one come loose.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought that was a bit ambitious too, so ignored the manual. If you are nervous about it being a bit loose, just get it to feel right, run the bike with newspaper under it, and see if it leaks. It won't vibrate off, that's just normal paranoia, ignore those thoughts.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I’ve done hand tighten and wrenched and marked how much of a turn past a certain point. The sportsters shook like mad and I found with them to tighten to spec, go for a ride let it sit. When I saw a drop I would tighten just a bit more, less than a quarter turn and then repeat. Sometimes I needed to do that, sometimes not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts