Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
copied from another thread

My brother and I are heading for Deadhorse Alaska, taking the entire month of July and then some. Heading up the west coast to Washington, then cutting inland to Seattle to see my aunt. Then north to Vancouver B.C., Taking the eastern route up thru Dawson city, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, The Klondike Highway to Dawson Creek, Top of the world highway. Stopping of for a night with Wild AKMoose just south of Fairbanks. Then 4 days up and back to Deadhorse, 400+ miles of gravel each way, 300 miles above the artic circle.

Deadhorse, also known as Prudhoe Bay, is the farthest point north you can travel by "road" in North America, on the shore of the Artic Ocean. This is the northern tip of the Tip To Tip Ride. The other tip is Ushuia, Argentina, the most southern most point you can go in South America. But that's another trip... and a couple of years away.

Then coming back thru Anchorage, and taking the western route thru Whitehorse, the Steward highway down to Prince Rupert, and taking a ferry to the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Another Ferry at the bottom end of the island to Port Angeles. Tour the Olympia Peninsula, then head for Portland, OR. From there, head for Lake Tahoe. Then on to Yosemite National park. Another stop in Squaw Valley, and a final push to my brothers home to Temecula, CA. 8500 road miles, averaging right around 300 miles a day. Approximately 1500 miles of "unimproved" roads. Should be a nice little trip.

·
Registered
805 Posts
sounds like a heck of a trip!
Updates from the road would be cool.
Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Its wild and wooly up there ive done the alcan highway on up to Anchorage and you are going to see some of the most beautiful scenery there is. Watch out for the wildlife cause its every where Them Cariboo ( how ever you spell it) will be in big heards and they are stupid and will run along beside you at 20 mph and then cut in front of you and the moose will bust out of the brush right in front of you and do not blow your horn at the Moose cause they take that as an insult and will attack my brother found that out the hard way.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Does sound like quite a trip. Would love to do something like that one day. I was born in Fairbanks and spent a lot of summers camping & fishing in AK as a kid, but its been a long time since I've been back. Hoping to make a trip up there in the next year or two (don't forsee it happening by m/c though). Had a bike ride scheduled to Temecula last year (OK, actually SD) but work cancelled it last minute. :evil:

Good luck & enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
All I can say is WOW! What an adventure. Tell the Mooseguy we all say "hey" from down here.
Just be safe and enjoy some of the local food. It really sounds like a blast.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
And his ride for this trip is SWEET.....still very jealous and wishing I could cough up the dough for a new bike and the trip....you guys are going to have such an awesome time!!!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sounds awsome. Don't forget the camera.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
If you are coming up I-5 and it is during the work day.. Take the Hwy512/S.Tacoma Way Exit (exit 127) and call me..

I work 2 minutes from Eagle leather (also located on South Tacoma Way/512 exit #127)..

I will buy lunch!!!!

I will send you a PM with my cell #...

If it is not during my work hours I can still meet up with ya !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts