Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So no, I didn't go down again. This is a follow up to my magnificent dismount in Sept that ended my road trip.
As you may remember, my ACL went bye-bye in the crash. Dr & I hoped with pt & time that I could live without it. After a trip to the Keys on the Yankee bike, my knee started going out again. Some pain but not unbearable. I still want to ride long distance & want a bigger bike for that, but don't trust the knee. So I go in Thursday for ACL Reconstruction. It'll keep me off the bike for the summer, but in FL, that's not a bad thing.
Hope to start bike shopping again by winter. I know someone riding to Alaska next summer. Think I'll be ready ? (haven't asked Dave yet :biglaugh: ) To quote Dennis, things that make you go hmmmm :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
8,766 Posts
Sister, I hope you have a very successful procedure, and a great recovery.

How long does the doc say you shouldn't ride? Or is he/she leaving it up to you, based on how you feel?

<<<HUGS>>> Love ya.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris, we haven't discussed riding again yet, but I'll have a brace for about 4 months. We're suppose to go to Italy in the fall, so I'm worried about walking around there now.

Pete, you can't lean a trike !

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Chris, we haven't discussed riding again yet, but I'll have a brace for about 4 months. We're suppose to go to Italy in the fall, so I'm worried about walking around there now.

Pete, you can't lean a trike !
I agree on the can't lean a trike but it's a better feeling than a CanAm Spyder with 2 wheels in front instead of in the rear.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Whiskey :)

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Surgeon said surgery went well. I'm home with a pain pump & Percocet. And Dave waiting on me :)
Took a last ride,for a while, yesterday.

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Doc said PT starts in 2 weeks. Recovery is about 4 months. Hottest months in FL so wouldn't be riding much anyway. Hope a hurricane doesn't blow me away :D

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Your in the sore part during the first week. Hang in there!

With all the things they have told you to do post surgery and before your first PT visit.....make sure you perform the movements....bending while sitting in a chair (barring a meniscal restriction) but especially fully extending the knee / leg out straight. No pillow under your knee unless you need a couple hours of sleep but when you wake up...flatten that knee out. You can even put a small towel roll under your ankle to let gravity push your knee straight. May not be able to stay there long but do numerous 5-10 minute ones during your day. Your PT will be happy seeing good end range motion and you will be happy they don't have to reverse an acquired stiff knee.

Good Luck !

Walking in Italy in 4 Months is definitely obtainable...just need to get that extension, some proper strength and perfect your gait. It actually can be good for you and your progress to go!

·
Premium Member
3,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kuzmandew, other than instructions to put no full weight on leg (toe touch for balance) they haven't given me any post-op instructions. (they were repairing a tear in meniscus also) I can't remove the dressing until I see Doc on Wed. Full stiff leg brace for now. But I will do whatever they tell me. Not just for Italy but to get back on bike.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts