Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coming home from west virginia last week found myself riding behind a couple riding 2 up pulling a small mc trailer...if nothing else, gave me something to think about on what turned out to be a 10 hour journey home. One thing I did consider was how nice it would have been to have a "few" more things w/me on my 10 day trip that started in gettysburg and finished in w.v. .... while I had what I needed and got by just fine, now that my other half has decided to join me in riding, the need for more space is needless to say...necessary if we consider taking any trips solely on the mc.

Of course we could do as we always do before she started riding w/me...she drives the car to our destination while I ride the mc... but wonder what it would be like to trailer something behind the bike...load it up and go carless...and for the few times I really would be using it if it really is worth considering.

while its not something I see myself jumping into at the moment...especially considering I don't know what the outcome will be when my wife returns to riding w/me...good or bad for her...wonder what anyone here who has experienced riding with a cargo trailer has learned...I realize it requires a different mind frame while riding...braking, awareness, etc...

appreciate any opinions or info... thanx.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Tag-a-long trailer from Harbor Freight and a hitch from MCHitch out of Lincoln NE.

The trailer will go on sale for around $330 and you throw a 20% off coupon at it and your into it for less than 300. The tail lights are junk, swap them out for led. Get a harness from either kuryakyn or Curt mfg. Your going to want a POWERED converter. It converts your bike harness to 4 or 5 wire trailer lights. You want a POWERED converter so that you are not running your trailer lights through your bike's harness.

Other than a little clatter from the hitch you don't know its back there. It has a huge capacity. Don't fill it with bricks, you'll have more weight than you can safely stop with, other than that it's not a big deal. The secret to avoiding "trailer wag" is sufficient tongue length and proper tongue weight (about 15% of loaded trailer weight) a lot of people use a fish scale.

You can certainly spend more money but you won't get more value.

On this trip I had four pieces of luggage, four lawn chairs, 4 sets of rain gear, small tool kit and as you can see the cooler. The bag on top of the tour pack was just for convienence. It has 6 zippered compartments she can store stuff in without ever opening the trailer or the tour pack.

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
I hook it up and pull to our destination, Rapid City, LaCross WI, Duluth MN ect, unhook it and do our touring.

I never give a thought to how it "handles" because there are not too many twisties on I90. :biglaugh:

·
Super Moderator
26,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tag-a-long trailer from Harbor Freight and a hitch from MCHitch out of Lincoln NE.

The trailer will go on sale for around $330 and you throw a 20% off coupon at it and your into it for less than 300. The tail lights are junk, swap them out for led. Get a harness from either kuryakyn or Curt mfg. Your going to want a POWERED converter. It converts your bike harness to 4 or 5 wire trailer lights. You want a POWERED converter so that you are not running your trailer lights through your bike's harness.

Other than a little clatter from the hitch you don't know its back there. It has a huge capacity. Don't fill it with bricks, you'll have more weight than you can safely stop with, other than that it's not a big deal. The secret to avoiding "trailer wag" is sufficient tongue length and proper tongue weight (about 15% of loaded trailer weight) a lot of people use a fish scale.

You can certainly spend more money but you won't get more value.

On this trip I had four pieces of luggage, four lawn chairs, 4 sets of rain gear, small tool kit and as you can see the cooler. The bag on top of the tour pack was just for convienence. It has 6 zippered compartments she can store stuff in without ever opening the trailer or the tour pack.

hate to initially spend alot on something I may find myself using very little...saw this yesterday

My Best Buddy Motorcycle Cargo Trailer XL

which is the same idea. Of course, always prefer a review on a product from someone who actually has had experience or owns a specific type...good input on your modified HF type.

guess if I decide to start up a hot dog side venture...this one may fit the bill..

Lumina Motorcycle Trailer

if nothing else...will give me something to do while having my morning coffee this winter....

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
78" Tag-Along Trailer - 600 Lb. Capacity

As you can see, you can spend more money but you won't find more trailer.

On sale $379 (they went up $50). Throw a 20% coupon at it and you are at $300.

"600 lb capacity" please don't try to tow 600 lbs with a 700 lb bike and a rear drum brake. I think I'd keep the weight of my gear to less than 200 lbs and a tongue weight of not more than 20.

I like to pull the bearings out of the wheels and replace the vasoline they use as wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
'Tag-Along' biggest bang for the buck!

I was at Gettysburg - Goldwing Razor trike and had trailler attached later Saturday night...maybe you saw it.

Pulls like a dream - can't even tell it's behind you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.