Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my bike to work yesterday, Man it was a great day! I took off on her for lunch, as soon as I was reaching my destination....without warning....loss of power and a lot of metal gnashing from the rearend! :crying:
I haven't torn into it yet, but was wondering if anyone may have a spare driveshaft for sale, pretty reasonable?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Quite a few VL800 Final Drives on ebay for under $100 shipped. I had great difficulty finding someone to just sell me a driveshaft but finally found a salvage yard that would. I wound up paying as much as I would have for the whole enchilada. Anyway, here's one that looks pretty good and from what you described, you may need it all. I'd tear into it first and see what all is damaged.
2006 06 Suzuki VL800 Boulevard C50 Rear Final Drive at LKQ Motorsports | eBay

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Just buy a new one- You never know with the Used drives if that has had several thousands of miles with no lube also!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a vs1400 drive and I am planning on doing the swap now. I haven't got it broke down but guess I will still need the driveshaft itself. Thanks for the advice and info, guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am about to do my spring tune-up which includes plugs, oil and filter, clean the K&N if needed, and now, apparently, checking my splines. I enjoy the bike so I may as well take care of it, right?

Also, tidcab I see you have an '86 Rebel 250. I have a 100% original '86 Rebel 450. That thing will scoot, and sixth gear isn't even any good until at least 60mph. I believe it would give my KZ550C a run for its money!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah Sephiroth, I would advise everyone to check the splines. The only reason I haven't is because I was going to do the BB joint drive mod.....I waited a tad too long....now I am out an extra 100 bucks.

That 450 will be a rare bike (as you know, only 2yrs produced). Mine is the limited edition but not to sure its so "limited" as I cant find any accurate production counts. I like the 250, I always wanted one as a kid.

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
Someday I will own 2 Honda 250's. What I really want is a 450.

Nice old read. That is until the (not gonna give it away) fell off.

7500 miles across America on a Honda Rebel 250 - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

7500 mile trip on a Rebel 250. I felt a little sorry for him being on a 250 until I read about a guy who rode from Ca to NY on a Honda cub 70. 2 years ago I posted about a little man who planned a trip around North America on a ruckus 50cc. Almost made it. That is until a 5th wheel camper awning broke his left arm on a narrow Ca 2-lane. He lived.

What was the topic?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Someday I will own 2 Honda 250's. What I really want is a 450.

Nice old read. That is until the (not gonna give it away) fell off.

7500 miles across America on a Honda Rebel 250 - Pashnit Motorcycle Forum

7500 mile trip on a Rebel 250. I felt a little sorry for him being on a 250 until I read about a guy who rode from Ca to NY on a Honda cub 70. 2 years ago I posted about a little man who planned a trip around North America on a ruckus 50cc. Almost made it. That is until a 5th wheel camper awning broke his left arm on a narrow Ca 2-lane. He lived.

What was the topic?
I chatted with a couple at a gas station last summer. They were from Connecticut and headed for Sturgis. He was on a C50 and she was on a Honda 250 Rebel. Said they both took 3 weeks off work and weren't in any hurry......"we'll get there when we get there". I just can't imagine turning that 250 east and heading back though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I chatted with a couple at a gas station last summer. They were from Connecticut and headed for Sturgis. He was on a C50 and she was on a Honda 250 Rebel. Said they both took 3 weeks off work and weren't in any hurry......"we'll get there when we get there". I just can't imagine turning that 250 east and heading back though.
I couldn't imagine riding that far on a 250 rebel, but if ya got the time it wouldn't be any different than riding to town I guess.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the final drive and driveshaft off last night, it was dry as bone in there. The splines on the shaft were slanted and the splines in the drive were completely gone in the center (where most of the contact was with the driveshaft). Here is a pic of the the pile of rust dust inside the housing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Wow. That's sad to hear and see. This is a 2009? How many miles?

My 2008 was almost completely dry on the front-most splines, but the splines under the grease seal were well lubed.

Which ones were these exactly?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Wipe a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the shim when you assemble, it will help keep the moisture out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. That's sad to hear and see. This is a 2009? How many miles?

My 2008 was almost completely dry on the front-most splines, but the splines under the grease seal were well lubed.

Which ones were these exactly?
It has less than 20,000mi I am really disappointed with Suzuki on this one. It was the final drive end of the driveshaft, the oil seal was completely intact with it having a type of heat shrink around the seal and assembly to make it impenetrable. Just the wrong type of grease used for the application I guess.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It has less than 20,000mi I am really disappointed with Suzuki on this one. It was the final drive end of the driveshaft, the oil seal was completely intact with it having a type of heat shrink around the seal and assembly to make it impenetrable. Just the wrong type of grease used for the application I guess.
Did you know about this common problem before hand?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you know about this common problem before hand?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I had heard of it on earlier models, but had already purchased a 1400 drive and was hoping mine would be fine til I swapped. Oh well, on the upside....it broke my procrastination.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I rode my bike to work yesterday, Man it was a great day! I took off on her for lunch, as soon as I was reaching my destination....without warning....loss of power and a lot of metal gnashing from the rearend! :crying:
I haven't torn into it yet, but was wondering if anyone may have a spare driveshaft for sale, pretty reasonable?
I recommend you to grease splines on every tire changes. I use BelRay waterproof grease (it sure look bluish green). You only need just enough to cover splines and also grease around End drive cog where Rim cog meet
End drive cog. That would go a long way. :shades:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts