Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
according to the dyno, my bike (04VL800) makes peak power at around 6,000rpm, and i think redline is around 6,300rpm.

and yes i do ride it to the max. but with my powerband going almost to redline, i do on some occasions hit the rev-limiter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If a person " hotwires the fuel pump to the key switch could that be a way to safely bypass the Rev limiter or is the Rev limiter connected through the ignition system?

·
Administrator
53,291 Posts
9+ year old thread......not likely to receive replies from the previous participants.

·
Registered
33 Posts
9+ year old thread......not likely to receive replies from the previous participants.
Ok thanks. First time here and just wasn't paying attention. Should I start another post about my comment maybe. I would like to know the opinion of some more seasoned riders as my area requires some higher rpm riding because of the terrain?

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
You do not want to bypass the rev-limiter. Not now, not ever. Not only is there nothing to gain except damaging the engine. The engine produces max torque at around 4500rpm and max hp around 6000. There is no reason to push it beyond there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You do not want to bypass the rev-limiter. Not now, not ever. Not only is there nothing to gain except damaging the engine. The engine produces max torque at around 4500rpm and max hp around 6000. There is no reason to push it beyond there.
I've heard that there is and isn't a rev limiter, my bike doesn't have a tach so I can't tell if the Rev limiter is what's causing it to shut down while riding or if it might be something else. Sounds and feels like it shutting down a bit before the Rev limiter should be.

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
Yes, there is a rev limiter. I believe it kicks in at 6500-6700 rpm. There is no reason to run these engines anywhere near the redline. They're not sport bikes and dont produce any more power the longer you ring them out.

·
Super Moderator
26,363 Posts
There is most certainly a rev limiter. We used to be very well acquainted when I owned my bully. As has been said, the limiter protects the engine from damage and there isn't any additional power to be found beyond it. Accept the bike for what it is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is most certainly a rev limiter. We used to be very well acquainted when I owned my bully. As has been said, the limiter protects the engine from damage and there isn't any additional power to be found beyond it. Accept the bike for what it is.
Awight thank you maybe I will figure out how to know if that's what's happening to mine.

·
Super Moderator
26,363 Posts
If the engine suddenly loses all power only when you are far accelerating and at high RPMs, congratulations, you've found the rev limiter. You don't need a tach, just listen to the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. The only thing I've ever hit the Rev limiter on is a Toyota paseo car that I had. I remember it was at extremely high rpms in lower gears but as far as the bike I read some place that there were a couple other things that could cause it to seem as if it had hit the rev limiter such as weak fuel pressure. Just don't wanna do something that might hurt the bike.

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter on these engines WILL hurt the bike. They are known for using oil, especially when pushed hard and operated at high RPM. If you need sport bike rpm range to ride, might we suggest a sport bike.

Reactions: crawdad

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I think I hit the rev limiter once.
The engine seemed to lose all power, and the digital speedometer read, "Ouch, Stop that!"

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hitting the rev limiter on these engines WILL hurt the bike. They are known for using oil, especially when pushed hard and operated at high RPM. If you need sport bike rpm range to ride, might we suggest a sport bike.
I don't need the higher rpms persay. I've owned this makes three bikes and this one is the first one I've hit the limiter on. I'm a self taught mechanic. I like to keep anything with an engine in the best shape that I can which means if I think something is wrong or off, I wanna find out what I can ASAP. As for me riding the bike, it will be lucky to see the legal speed limit much less anything over the speed limit. When it hit the limiter I had just pulled into the four lane highway, was going up hill, don't remember what gear I was in but was running about 50 or 55 mph when it started shutting down.

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
You're going to find out that the reliability of these engines is a bit of a crap shoot. Almost all of them will use oil at some point and there's nothing that you can do to prevent it. running the engine at high rpm is a recipe for a quick engine failure due to oil starvation. Bouncing off the rev limiter is a sure way of getting there more quickly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't intend to bounce off the limiter now that I know that it was most likely the Rev limiter that was shutting it down.

·
Super Moderator
26,363 Posts
If hitting the rev limiter is bad for the VL800 engine, it's probably for the best I traded mine in. I feel sorry for the poor sap that bought it.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts