Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread here got me thinking about a VL800's redline. I'm wondering at what road speed would the engine over rev, say, in 2nd or 3rd gear.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Another thread here got me thinking about a VL800's redline. I'm wondering at what road speed would the engine over rev, say, in 2nd or 3rd gear.
It will only rev as high as the rev limiter allows to.

·
Registered
251 Posts

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
A good general guideline is to shift about 500 RPM past the point of peak horsepower (at least to get the best 1/4 mile times, lol). It can be different depending on the gearing and spread of transmission ratios.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Which is.........?

(I think that's what he was looking for.)

....useless unless he has a tach.

I dunno, I ride a Harley for crying out loud.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
I believe it's 6500 rpms

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
If you're riding a cruiser that hard, maybe a sport bike would be better suited for your riding style.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Yepp, the_snake is right... it's amazing when you hit 90 mph in second gear ;)

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Shut up!!!! LOL

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
That nothing for that rich German.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Says the guy with the $320 speeding ticket. :biglaugh:
Geee, just what I was thinking....... :p

Even w/o a tach you can feel when the power fades and you get more noise than zip. Time to shift!

·
Premium Member
28,197 Posts
From another thread:

Chapter 9-20
"The fuel cut-off circuit is incorporated in this ECM in order to prevent over-running of engine. When engine
speed reaches 8000 r/min during running, this circuit cuts off fuel at the fuel injector."

Found this in the Suzuki VZ800K4 Manual ... The 04 does NOT have FI but this performs as I said above..

Chapter 8-16
"The fuel cut-off circuit is incorporated in this ignitor in order to prevent over-running of engine. When engine
speed reaches 8000 r/min during running, this circuit cuts off primary circuit for all spark plugs."

·
Registered
19,746 Posts

·
Registered
19,746 Posts
Listen to the bike. It will tell you when it is not happy..... Ride it until the vibrations get to you, then shift to the next gear. There's really no wrong way to do it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually shift when the bike feels like it's loosing a bit of power.
(I didn't know it had a limiter... good to know!!)

But.... just wondering.
If you down shift at a high speed, will the bike over rev, or would the rear skid?

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I hit the rev limiter on my Harley today for the first time... :twisted: didn't shift to second gear quick enough.

had done the same on both my Suzuki's prior... took me 1.5 years to do it on this bike - I am mellowing out in my old age :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
I hit the rev limiter on my Harley today for the first time... :twisted: didn't shift to second gear quick enough.

had done the same on both my Suzuki's prior... took me 1.5 years to do it on this bike - I am mellowing out in my old age :biglaugh:
Cough, Cough, old fart, Cough, Cough :twisted:

·
Registered
9,781 Posts

Cough, Cough, old fart, Cough, Cough :twisted:

True, dat... you should have seen me puttering around on the Dragon this week! :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts