Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One man, one set of Highway pegs, no jack. Would appreciate and tips or tricks in getting them clamped down on the same spot (level) on both the left and rights sides of my highway bars - thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I measure carefully from the lower frame and mark it with a sharpie. Then I use a square and measure down from the flat bar across the top. This usually confirms that they are level. I then measure up or down from that first mark to get the pegs where I want them.

Not pretty, but it works and my pegs are level.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
But if you have one leg longer than the other, you may not necessarily want the pegs level. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The title of the thread makes me think of this event:
Hardly Davidson Croce Breaks Leg In Motorcycle Accident, 50 Miles Into Coast-to-coast Trip It's 'Queasy Rider,' For Sixers Prez Broken Leg Ruins Croce Trip - Philly.com

Pat Croce was the keynote motivational speaker at a sales convention that I attended about 10 years ago. The way he described it, his buddy's highway peg nearly severed his leg and the doctors feared that they may have to amputate it. He went on to tell of his battle to prove the doctors wrong and the road to an almost miraculous recovery.

Might be a bit of embellishment there (especially compared to the news article of the day), I don't really know. But I do think of his story everytime I see someone riding with long highway pegs that are sticking waaaay out there.

Reactions: johnnygills

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I measure carefully from the lower frame and mark it with a sharpie. Then I use a square and measure down from the flat bar across the top. This usually confirms that they are level. I then measure up or down from that first mark to get the pegs where I want them.

Not pretty, but it works and my pegs are level.
That procedure is very close to what I used the other day. Picked up my bike from the shop where the tech replaced the Cobra bars and refitted the highway pegs after a side swipe accident. When I got home, I realized one was not the same level as the other. Measure down from the flat bar on the top rather than from the ground up.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
is height placement on the bar a preference for comfort or should they be placed above, but relatively closeby, the floorboard?
Depends, we are all different sizes and shapes. For me there are three ways to use hwy bar pegs. 1 Heel on floorboard, ball of foot on pegs. Comfy and fast to shift or brake . 2 instep or heel on peg. Knee slightly bent. Comfortable for long distances and changes pressures points on the butt and legs. Also, for me feels aggressive somewhat in sweepers. 3 Heel on the leg. The full stretch, toes pointed out. Mostly used as a position break for longer rides.
I had to move my pegs twice to find the sweet spot for me. You will probably get them set and then move them slightly as well.

Reactions: Jim Rinehimer

·
Super Moderator
33,484 Posts
I put the first one where I wanted it, then used a piece of string from the mount point at the top to the top of the bar to the top of the peg. Move the string to the other side and put that peg at the same spot on the bar. I may be off a 1/4" or so, but it's cost enough that no one notices.

·
Super Moderator
65,647 Posts
I wrap black electrical tape on the bar first. This helps the clamp bite but not scratch the bar. You can do your final adjustments and then trim the remaining tape from the top and bottom of the clamp with a sharp razor blade.

Hope this helps :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.