Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been cleaning up my sportster and getting her ready to sell. I found a magnetic case tie wrapped to the lower frame and suspected that I might find a spare key inside. When I pried it open, it was empty. That had me scratching my head. Last night I was searching the web for cheap mods, and found that some riders place a magnet on their bikes to help the in pavement loop detect their bikes. That was when the light bulb went off in my puny brain. I have been sitting at lights on my new to me C50T and not getting my turn for a green light. I figured there was not enough metal for the sensor to see me. So the magnet must be there to give a better chance for the in pavement loop to "see" me. Does anyone else use this magnet trick on their C50s?

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Yup! Pretty common "mod". The stronger the magnet, the better though

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Here the law offers you to sit through 2 complete lights and then your free to go.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Here, we have to wait "wait an appropriate amount of time" and then we can go through the light, keeping in mind that motorcycles going through the light do not have the right of way, so, the road should be clear. I have gone through several lights lately after waiting about 30 seconds with cars lining up behind me. I wonder what those cagers think. Check out your laws to see what is allowable.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Magnet strength is allegedly the key. If you read online, they will say to pull the magnets out of an old computer harddrive, which are so strong, it is very difficult to get them apart if the touch each other. I had two of these zip tied to the frame of my C50, made absolutely ZERO difference. It was strong enough to pick up a coat hanger that was laying on the interstate I drove over at 70 MPH though.

·
Administrator
29,695 Posts
I invented running the light :)

·
Super Moderator
34,500 Posts
Here it isn't legal, but I've had cops tell me that they've never actually seen anyone do it. They always seem to drop a pen on the floorboard and have to reach for it when it happens. :shades:

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Magnet strength is allegedly the key. If you read online, they will say to pull the magnets out of an old computer harddrive, which are so strong, it is very difficult to get them apart if the touch each other. I had two of these zip tied to the frame of my C50, made absolutely ZERO difference. It was strong enough to pick up a coat hanger that was laying on the interstate I drove over at 70 MPH though.
Here the law offers you to sit through 2 complete lights and then your free to go.
Who is going to challenge your counting method?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Why has nobodysuggested to " buy a bigger bike"?. Seems like the answer to all other issues.

Reactions: BlutoBodine

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The magnets are a gimmick. Proven not to work. Iron pipe might work, but you may have to drag it with a chain.

They passed a law in Texas a few years ago that said all stop lights had to be calibrated to trip from a motorcycle, and if they don't trip after 2 light cycles you get a free pass.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.