Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I couldn't find anyone who would trade or sell em a white spedometer face plate so I had to make my own:

I dug up an old post where a guy had cut the shape of a faceplate out of the clear cover of a CD case. I did the same and used it to cover the paper cut out I did on my computer. I corrected my 10% speedomter error while I was at it and colored the white needle with an orange marker so it sort of looks stock. Now it matches my tach:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Good job looks factory installed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
v01rider said:
sweet! good job. what kind of paper did you use? i did the same using cd lables.
I used cardstock.
CD label, huh. I didn't think of that.
In the old thread that read, that guy used contact paper; I tried to print my design on white contact paper but it would not print properly using my ink jet printer. maybe I could print it on a CD label and apply it to the surface of the plastic disk I cut out. It looks pretty good now but it is a bit shiny with the plastic over the printed paper. I had to use something with some strenght to hold the nail in place that I used as a stop for the needle.

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
Scottyd409 said:
v01rider said:
sweet! good job. what kind of paper did you use? i did the same using cd lables.
I used cardstock.
CD label, huh. I didn't think of that.
In the old thread that read, that guy used contact paper; I tried to print my design on white contact paper but it would not print properly using my ink jet printer. maybe I could print it on a CD label and apply it to the surface of the plastic disk I cut out. It looks pretty good now but it is a bit shiny with the plastic over the printed paper. I had to use something with some strenght to hold the nail in place that I used as a stop for the needle.
ahh ok, never thought of card stock. yea, i have not installed mine yet. good job!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks good. :)

Have been doing the same:

http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=70486&highlight=

I have a couple of questions:

I can see that my speedometer now reads approx. 15-20 km/h too much (haven't had the time to calibrate properly yet), and I suspect it is because the needle has to be readjusted. How did you make sure the needle was put back in the same position again, in order to give the same readings as before?

What did you use to cut out the cd case? Just a normal tool knife, or something else that is better?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cralle said:
Looks good. :)

Have been doing the same:

http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=70486&highlight=

I have a couple of questions:

I can see that my speedometer now reads approx. 15-20 km/h too much (haven't had the time to calibrate properly yet), and I suspect it is because the needle has to be readjusted. How did you make sure the needle was put back in the same position again, in order to give the same readings as before?

What did you use to cut out the cd case? Just a normal tool knife, or something else that is better?
I saw your posting; been looking for ideas anywhere I can get them. I got the idea for the CD case from this thread:
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=26138&highlight=speedo
The pics are long gone but it still gave me a good idea. Details for cutting the CD case are in the 1st post on page 2.

I just went to Office Max to look for the CD labels. I found them but they have a hole in the middle of them (I know, what did I expect) I found some 8-1/2 X 11 sheets of label material for an inkjet printer so I'm gointg to print my design on one of those and then try to get it aligned in the right position on my platic plate.

The other thing you have to contend with is bright spots directly over the LED's. The original faceplate has a pattern painted on the backside designed to diffuse the light. I tried to duplicate that on the backside of my first attempt. I don't think I got it dark enough but I won't know for sure until it gets dark. I'll have to print that pattern on another sheet of the label material and stick it to the back of the plate for on this version.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

As far as the needle goes, I just plugged the speedo in without the cover on, turned the key on, waited for the needle to settle, then took it off and put it back on so it aligned with zero and rested on the stop.

·
Administrator
53,918 Posts
Now for some custom faces.......:wink:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have six more weeks to wait for mine. But After talking to the mightydog himself I am that much more excited. Maybe he will ride down and help out with the install........crickets chirping in the background........ :lol:

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
How well does the new face light up through the card stock?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's what I figured.

I kinda buggered my black one up and broke off the needle stop peg while using it for a template for the white one or I'd offer to make the swap with you; I don't think you'd be happy with it in the condttion it's in now.

A Speedo visor will help with the windshield glare.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Can stop peg be swapped or replaced?

Scottyd409 said:
That's what I figured.

I kinda buggered my black one up and broke off the needle stop peg while using it for a template for the white one or I'd offer to make the swap with you; I don't think you'd be happy with it in the condttion it's in now.

A Speedo visor will help with the windshield glare.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts