Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new to the forum, new to riding. I got my 06 M50 with about 11k miles about 4 months ago (I'm about to hit 16k miles now). I'm 6'3" 230, and like many others here, have done something here or there to make my ride more comfortable. I have mustang seats, and 2" riser blocks installed, along with johns forward controls. These have helped, but I've had my eyes on a handlebar swap for a while now, the prospect of not reaching waaaaaaay out, and down, to grab the handlebars really appeals to me.

Here are my questions.

I have been doing a lot of research and reading on different people putting apes on, but one thing I have noticed is that they are normally put on boulevards where the gauge cluster is embedded in the gas tank. my M has the speedo attached to the risers.

I wasn't imagining using the OEM risers with apes, don't want to go too crazy, thinking parallel with the ground, MAYBE slightly above, but more important to me is the pullback and helping me regain my good riding posture.

Does anybody have any experience with relocating the speedo? I have found ONE relocation bracket, sold by bluecollarbobbers, which is meant to allow you to flip the risers 180 degrees, which is opposite of what I'm looking for.

Also, I have seen a lot of posts about 10" apes not needing extended cables, some say 12" don't need extended cables, but doesn't this depend on the height of the risers? I have found 1", 3.5", 4.5", 5.5" risers. I'm trying to figure out if: 1. CAN I can relocate the speedo to allow me to use a regular set of risers (similar to this ebay one, or even this one)? 2. If so, would it be better to go with a lower rise set of risers and bigger apes? I can get my hands on a set of 14" apes, which I feel may be too much for me, but I don't know what size risers people are using with their apes.

Hopefully this all makes sense, I've tried to do my due diligence before posting on here, in hopes of not creating a thread that could have been answered elsewhere.

I appreciate any help guys!

·
Registered
234 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts