Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed a lowering kit on their bike? I've got a Boulevard M50 that I'm thinking of lowering. I am talking 2", hope it won't cause any interference problems with tire rubbing on fender etc. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Has anybody installed a lowering kit on their bike? I've got a Boulevard M50 that I'm thinking of lowering. I am talking 2", hope it won't cause any interference problems with tire rubbing on fender etc. Thank you!

The links that you need to lower your M 50 are the same ones that are used on any Volusia or C 50.

2 inches of lowering should not cause any interference problems.

2 inches is what I set out to do on my bike and it has worked very well for the two up and fully overloaded writing that we do with it.

You may want to stiffen your shock setting by a couple of notches though.

The bike pictured in my avatar is after the lowering links were installed and the C 90 Drive was also installed

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lowered my m50 2". Only problem I ever encountered is going over speed bumps that are a little high. The bottom of the frame can touch the bump. I learned what speed works best. I'm not sorry I lowered it. You'll love it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lowered my m50 2". Only problem I ever encountered is going over speed bumps that are a little high. The bottom of the frame can touch the bump. I learned what speed works best. I'm not sorry I lowered it. You'll love it.

If you lower the rear you may need to set the rear shock to a stiffer setting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gosh, I'm having trouble getting the two bolts loose, in order to install the lowering kit. They say they're 50 ft lbs of torque, but has anybody have any tips on getting them loose? The bottom one doesn't clear the frame which makes it tricky to get a wrench on: 14mm on one end and 17mm on the other. The videos on you tube make it look easier than it is. Any advise would be great to hear. thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gosh, I'm having trouble getting the two bolts loose, in order to install the lowering kit. They say they're 50 ft lbs of torque, but has anybody have any tips on getting them loose? The bottom one doesn't clear the frame which makes it tricky to get a wrench on: 14mm on one end and 17mm on the other. The videos on you tube make it look easier than it is. Any advise would be great to hear. thank you!
OK, I finally got the bottom bolt loose. Golly! first time can be a btch! Now I've got to get the top one loose. Leave that for tomorrow. Got's to take a handful of ibu so I can get out of bed tomorrow at 4:30am for work. {work-work-work bla-bla-bla.} (Go Chiefs)

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
OK, I finally got the bottom bolt loose. Golly! first time can be a btch! Now I've got to get the top one loose. Leave that for tomorrow. Got's to take a handful of ibu so I can get out of bed tomorrow at 4:30am for work. {work-work-work bla-bla-bla.} (Go Chiefs)
Yes they are hard to get loose and awkward to get out.

Good luck with the last one

·
Registered
19,732 Posts
If you put a piece of pipe that fits over the wrench or ratchet, maybe 2 ft long, will help a bunch.
I took a piece of aluminum conduit about 2 ft and made 1 end oblong by hammering on it a bit till my combo wrench fit in it and it made my bolts seem easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I got them both loose: used a pipe on the end of the ratchet. I was able to get them replaced today. I just have to thread the nut on the top bolt. Then torque them and reattach the rectifier and various covers. And finally, swing a leg over!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts