Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that this question has been asked in the past, and I've read some responses on this subject on this forum. But that was a while ago and the answers didn't seem to match my issues exactly. So, I figured that I would ask people with vastly more experience with Suzuki's than me.

Sit-rep: M50 15K miles, regular check-ups and maintenance.

Issue: In the last week, I have developed an engine vibration. This doesn't happen at start up, but appears after the bike has been properly warmed up. No matter the speed, while riding I can feel a very noticeable vibration. The higher the speed/ revs, the more vibration. While riding, I'll pull in the clutch and let it roll at idle, there is no vibration. However, with the clutch in, if I bring the revs up, I feel the vibration again. I figure that it has to be an engine issue. While this is vibrating (in gear), I've noticed a reduction in power, with slower throttle response.

Does anyone have any idea of what it could be, before I spend a bank full of money letting the shop "explore" until they figure it out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
25,130 Posts
You sure someone didn't swap your engine out for a Harley? :biglaugh:

Seriously though, I've never experienced your symptoms, but based on your description it sounds like a drive train issue, not engine. Perhaps it's an early symptom of a drive shaft failure? Have you taken that apart and lubed it yet?

15k is awfully low miles for that though. If you need help, let us know. I noticed from your intro post that you're in Atlanta. I'm in Kennesaw, and although I'm no genius on the bike, I'm happy to help you tear it apart and figure it out. There are a number of other guys in the area too. Some with a lot more experience than me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I appreciate the speedy response.

No, I hadn't taken apart the drive-train yet. I figured that it was an engine issue since it wasn't a clutch/transmission issue.

Could the drive shaft be the problem? Wouldn't that be a constant vibration from the rear of the bike ( and noisy)? I noticed that the vibration felt like it was coming from somewhere under the fuel tank, so I immediately thought engine.

I usually don't do my own maintenance on the bike. (though it's a good time to learn)

·
Super Moderator
25,130 Posts
Oops. I guess I should read closer. Yeah, you're right, I read the original post wrong. You said when you pull the clutch it goes away, but comes back with more throttle and the clutch still pulled. That would be something in the engine.

OK, I'm at a loss. Just to hit the stupid stuff, have you hit all of the bolts with a wrench? I guess it could be a loose engine mount bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have tried giving it the once over, to see if anything came loose. All of the bolts were tight. I am at a loss as to why this only happens when it warms up. I kept thinking that loose bolts might rattle when cold or warm.

I did take the air cleaner out and check it. It looks good too.

I looked at it a little while ago and started it up. No vibration on start up or during the few minutes that it ran. I'm still scratching my head over the loss of throttle response when this happens...

All of the fluids are good, so that can't be it. Could it be bad gas? I use premium gas with no ethanol.

I appreciate your insights. I'm hoping to narrow down the issue prior to letting the shop get to it.

Do you know a reputable shop that won't charge me my next grandchild, but does quality work?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Put some Seafoam in the fuel and run it. Maybe you have a fuel injector that is partially clogged and the vibration you feel is the engine starving for fuel at higher RPM's. Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
25,130 Posts
A little Seafoam isn't a bad idea. The shop I use for my maintenance is Walk-er-ride in Powder Springs.

http://www.walk-er-ride.com

Jimmy Walker, the owner, is a great guy, and he's got a mechanic on staff that's factory trained on Suzukis. He's typically only open by appointment on the weekends, but I bet if you ride by there tomorrow, Saturday, you'll find him there. He'll probably give you some rough ideas without even charging you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry it took so long to reply. I had to attend a funeral out of town.

Seafoam, eh? I had not heard of this before. Where do I get it and how much per tank to use?

Could this be a fuel issue as well? I do my best to put only >92 octane in it. I'd like to find some fuel without ethanol if possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts