Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I'm going to show my ignorance.
I have read in threads that some have been using this in your bikes. After reading the bottle, it seems that it would be bad for the clutch as it states that one of the main advantages is it reduces friction.
Am I missing something or is it just to much for my 3 live brain cells to comprehend? ???

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Ok guys, I'm going to show my ignorance.
I have read in threads that some have been using this in your bikes. After reading the bottle, it seems that it would be bad for the clutch as it states that one of the main advantages is it reduces friction.
Am I missing something or is it just to much for my 3 live brain cells to comprehend? ???
I know that there are those who ''swear by'' the Lucas oil Stabilizer and other aftermarket additives but I would never add it to any machine that I run.

If the petroleum chemists that design the oil and additive packages can't get it right so the oil does it's job for 3000-5000 miles in the appropriate vehicle, who am I to claim that I can make it work better based on MARKETING claims of people who want to put my money in their pockets. :bigoops:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It can be VERY bad for getting friction if added in excess of the 10% (about 3oz. per quart) recommended for wet clutch bikes.

Says I...160,000+ miles and still on the original clutch (though it is starting to slip so replacement will be due soon I think).

To me the fact that I have a Vol with that many miles on the original engine and drive train that is still running strong says a lot for using Lucas (I run it in the final drive as well).

And I don't get jack **** for sayin so.

As far as the oil companies go...ok so they develop oils that are pretty much used up at 3000 to 5000 miles good for them...not so good for your engine. When I change my oil at 3000-3500mi it's as thick and slick as the fresh oil coming out of the new bottle...which definitely is not what I was getting out of the crankcase before I started using it.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
All oils reduce friction the real question is what works best with your engine. If you think you need an oil thickener why not just buy a heavier weight oil to start with.

I use to use STP in my really worn out cars it too is an oil thickener but included additives. Pours a little thicker than molasses. I liked it's honey color. According to the majority of posters on the above site They Call it "Lucas" Oil Stabilizer | Oil Additives | Bob Is The Oil Guy Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just a no additive 80 weight oil and when blended with a lighter oil the mixture of oils brings up the weight of your oil.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
Oil additives do nothing but separate you from your hard earned money.... Purchase the RIGHT oil to begin with and there is no NEED for any fancy additives with multi-million dollar ad campaigns....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I used some Lucas in my 1995 Dakota (318 Magnum) at 180k, and it has helped it a lot, but the oil does NOT go into my transmission either. I would not use it on any of my bikes for that reason. I also do not use it on my new truck. It is great for older engines because it clings to things and helps oil protect better. My Dodge would always make a little noise when first started due to the valves being older and now they are as quiet as a new truck. I will be rebuilding to 318 at 200k or 250k. Until then, 5,000mi oil changes with 10% Lucas!

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I was a little worried about the dry startups especially after a long winter.
Then after reading the bottle, I was more worried about the clutch.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
Didn't your bully start eating oil and die rather young?:biglaugh:
That was attributable more to an assembly/metallurgy issue more than a choice in engine oil and additive packages. There's not a lubrication product on the market that can fix poor workmanship from the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts