Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but I would like to get some fresh input on lowering my 07 c50. I really like the comfort level of the C50 but as I am short (28 inseam) I feel like I am sitting to wide on the bike at its stock height. I have changed the seat already and moved the stock handlebars back as far as I can but I still feel as though I am reaching with both my legs and arms. I am considering lowering the bike 2 inches would like to find risers that would only pullback another 2 inches. I do not want risers that raise the bars any higher as I use a windshield bag and would like to keep it usable. My main concern is with lowering and how the bike will feel lowered as well as the handling safety.
Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have lowered my bike 2" with johnskits.com and love the look and feel. I am 5'7" and as I didn't have any issues with comfort before I lowered it, it feels even better now. I feel it makes it more comfortable for me in maneuvering as well.

The only issue I've had is scraping the floorboards on hard leans/corners; however the floorboards are made to give for this reason. As it may seem scary at first, as long as you are prepared or know what angle it will happen it's not so bad. But scraping also doesn't always have to happen, many times it's cause I go into a turn or corner faster than probably needed.

Some members have mentioned needing to stiffen the rear shocks due to the rear fender and tire touching with them and a passenger. I haven't had this issue myself with my wife and I, but this type of thing will vary upon rider and passenger.

Frankly if your considering it, I'd say do it. You'll definitely feel more comfortable and your feet will more than likely sit completely flat footed on the ground when stopped. But as mentioned clearance for leaning, as well as, for saddlebags is one of the issues as it puts those a little closer to the ground.

Maybe some other members with more info will chime in, also maybe some will correct me where I am wrong lol. Hope this helps ya in some way.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Mine was lowered 2", Vickey's is lowered 3". Both are still very ridable and do not bottom out except on extreme potholes. We do not ride double so that might be an issue. We also have the Phat2 risers. They do raise the bars a bit but mostly bring them back about 1.5" I think. She also has pullback bars on hers for another 2", but this required new cables.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Do it, you wont regret it. Also consider Jim's Spacers. They are 2" handlebar spacers that will raise the handlebars slightly while offering some pullback, and are really affordable. Also, have you considered a tour bag for the rear so you dont have a need for a windshield bag?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I did 3" lower off eBay. I'm 5.7". Feels and looks great

·
Registered
761 Posts
Or have your seat lowered by Mean City Cycles. They did mine for my Volusia and my Road king. They can narrow the front seat also a little. I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam. I didn't lower my Voluisa, but have lowered my Road King 2" in the and 1" in the front. Also, I added Jim's 2" spacers to the handlebars, you won't regret it. The best thing about the MCC seat mod was the gel foam they put in. After the seat was broken in I could ride all day without any butt burn.

Ed

·
Registered
205 Posts
I find it interesting when people lower their motorcycles. One of the reasons I bought this on is it is a little taller and longer than the other bikes in midcruiser category. I am 5'10 with a 34 inseam and am coming off a tall different style of riding bike Suzuki 650 GSXF. I am a little worried with how the new ride is going to feel initially.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
I'm 5'10", with a 30" inseam ..............IMHO these bikes don't need to be lowered.

(Now, when I was riding my KLX, i was on my toes when I stopped! That was a high bike!)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I thought lowering would make for a stiff/hard ride, but Lowering kits don't effect the ride in a negative way . It's not a hard/stiff ride, feels the same. And balanced vary nice
+ some really like the look,
The stock set up leaves a ton of room under the fender. The whole side wall of the tire is exposed....
Fine if you like that.
I like the look of the lowered set up..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mine is lowered 3" and handles great. I ride 2up often and only notice any bottoming out when I turn in to a "high" driveway, and then it's only a scrape. I'm 275, my wife is 110.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I know this has been covered before but I would like to get some fresh input on lowering my 07 c50. I really like the comfort level of the C50 but as I am short (28 inseam) I feel like I am sitting to wide on the bike at its stock height. I have changed the seat already and moved the stock handlebars back as far as I can but I still feel as though I am reaching with both my legs and arms. I am considering lowering the bike 2 inches would like to find risers that would only pullback another 2 inches. I do not want risers that raise the bars any higher as I use a windshield bag and would like to keep it usable. My main concern is with lowering and how the bike will feel lowered as well as the handling safety.
Any comments are appreciated.
I am also height challenged and decided to lower my bike so I would have a more secure foothold at a stop..... I am so happy that I did that (almost 2" lower). As for performance and handling, if it did anything, these aspects improved. I am able to ride at a crawl with improved stability, and maneuverability at higher speeds is more streamlined and comfortable. It was a great solution for me!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Lower it, you'll be happy I'm 6'2" and loved how my M50 handled when it was lowered.
Im considering going hard tail just so I can lower it a little bit again.

·
Administrator
54,733 Posts
Erniek, lower it 2 or 2.5 inches.
You'll appreciate the characteristics of the machine after lowering......especially when blessed with a 28" inseam.

There will be two items to deal with after lowering, ie, a slight kickstand modification, and You'll need to make up a short ramp for the rear wheel when using a bike lift.

The kickstand needs to be notched where it contacts the stop, or, some folks simply remove the stop.
You can do that before or after the bones are installed

The ramp can be built anytime, using a 3 foot plank board.
Two by six boards make life easier, rather than using a piece of two by four.

Simply cut the board with a long, shallow angle at one end, to make the machine roll easily up onto the board, before sliding the bike lift underneath.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Do you have stock seats? Others, like Mustang make you sit wider and less reach to the ground. I liked their look but was very uncomfortable holding up the bike. I also lowered 2 inches and raised the bars 2 inches. Never bottomed out but hit the scrapped the floorboards on tight, fast turns a few times. Scary but no problem. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I find it interesting when people lower their motorcycles. One of the reasons I bought this on is it is a little taller and longer than the other bikes in midcruiser category. I am 5'10 with a 34 inseam and am coming off a tall different style of riding bike Suzuki 650 GSXF. I am a little worried with how the new ride is going to feel initially.

I've never ridden anything like a Suzuki 650 GSXF, and it would be hard for me to tell you how you will feel, but I get a very relaxed and comfortable feeling on mine. I've heard similar comments from taller folks as well.

Unlike my prior bike that seemed to be more work than pleasure, my Bessie is a pleasure to ride. It's not her overall size that makes the difference, it's the distribution of her weight- being well balanced and with a low center of gravity. Honestly, had I not had a great friend steer me in the direction of this bike, I probably wouldn't be riding anymore. Lowering her a bit is due to my short stature, and I love the responsiveness and maneuverability even more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a bunch for all the replies. One comment about moving the bike around in its standard height. It seems lowering it would also make it easier to manually move around.

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks a bunch for all the replies. One comment about moving the bike around in its standard height. It seems lowering it would also make it easier to manually move around.

Thanks
Ya I guess it is a bit better moving it around,,,,I never even thought about the kick stand,,,,seems fine too me. But I might look at it and get more info on why its being done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lowered my C50 today 2 1/2" with a johnskit. Ordering was easy and arrived within 5 days. Im 6'2" w/ 34" inseam and I do not notice any huge difference with the ride or handling. Feels good and looks a bit better so I'm happy. No scraping or tire rub at 235lbs. Im anxious for the next time I throw the passenger seat on and put the wife on. We will see. I had to take the covers off of both sides and take off the exhaust. With over 40k miles on the bike those bolts were tough! Had to get to both sides and use an torque wrench......and a neighbor. Here is the result.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Administrator
54,733 Posts
Ya I guess it is a bit better moving it around,,,,I never even thought about the kick stand,,,,seems fine too me. But I might look at it and get more info on why its being done.

Standard from the factory, it doesn't take much for that kickstand to fold back under, and the machine to suffer consequential damages.

Here's a detail of that mod by Our very own (and very lovely may I add) MistressK and Her Hubby:
2005 C50 Boulevard Mods - Page 3

·
Registered
341 Posts
Standard from the factory, it doesn't take much for that kickstand to fold back under, and the machine to suffer consequential damages.

Here's a detail of that mod by Our very own (and very lovely may I add) MistressK and Her Hubby:
2005 C50 Boulevard Mods - Page 3
I had a look , And I feel it is a good idea to mod the k-stand. Now I just have to decide grind the stop or notch the stand ...:blackeye:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts