Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 2009 Boulevard C50T.

I am thinking about adding lowering links or bars to my bike.

Black Path makes a kit that allows switching between stock height, 1" or 2" lower options.

Anyone know of another option to go in addition to these Black Path links?

Also, what might I need to be aware of when doing this to my bike? Are there kick stand mods to do? Will it affect the drive shaft in any way?

What about riding in general? Will lowering the bike 2 inches do anything with regards to clearing speed bumps? Cornering issues?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
I ride a 2009 Boulevard C50T.

I am thinking about adding lowering links or bars to my bike.

Black Path makes a kit that allows switching between stock height, 1" or 2" lower options.

Anyone know of another option to go in addition to these Black Path links?

Also, what might I need to be aware of when doing this to my bike? Are there kick stand mods to do? Will it affect the drive shaft in any way?

What about riding in general? Will lowering the bike 2 inches do anything with regards to clearing speed bumps? Cornering issues?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
So far as ''options'' go for lowering links, the guy who sells ''John's forward controls'' has them available. Custom Lowering bones and forward controls for Volusias and Boulevard C50

You can make them yourself or have someone make them for you. the dimensions are available on this forum... I made my own....

http://www.motorcycleforums.net/for...ing-link-schematics-m-c50-bone-dimensions.jpg

I found that the lowering made the bike feel more like sitting in my rocking chair.

The floorboards will scrape at less of an angle.

I've adjusted to any change in handling so that is pretty much invisible to me now. I have no complaints.

The kick stand will stand the bike up straighter on flat ground... there is a ''kickstand mod'' on here some where.

Speed bumps might be a problem depending on how much you lower but because you are going slow anyway, cross the wider ones at a bit of an angle if the circumstances allow.

Hope this helped....

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I saw the kick stand mod but I don't know where it is.
All you do is gently remove a bit of material from the kick stand stop. It's the square nugget that stops the kick stand from moving any further towards the front of the bike.
Match the angle of the kick stand and shave a little off.
Not too much!

·
Registered
23,778 Posts
Are you planning on being solo or maybe 2 up?
With 2 up you'll need to adjust your shock. I forgot and after hitting some bumps in the road, I found out my tire had hit my wires and cut them.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Are you planning on being solo or maybe 2 up?
With 2 up you'll need to adjust your shock. I forgot and after hitting some bumps in the road, I found out my tire had hit my wires and cut them.
Need to add....

Brake adjustment. The change in height, whether from lowering links or added weight of luggage or passenger WILL (desim.... :) )change the brake lever position so the brake drags when riding down the road or at a bump in the road... make sure there is enough pedal travel allowing for shoe clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Agree with last two posts fully, except will change Gene's CAN to WILL. Been many hubs changed color permanently because of heat. Mine I caught in time to prevent damage. It was ALMOST ok but every time I hit a bump like in a bridge crossing I felt the bike slow.
I also had to modify my style of riding (3" lowered). Two of the things are watch out for speed bumps and lean into corners more (keeps the bike more upright and prevents dragging).

Reactions: Gene
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.