Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions

Are lowering kits all the same? Is any brand better than another?
Do they affect the comfort of the ride? Handling?
Do different lowering heights affect the ride? I.e. why do people do 2.5 inches and not 3?
How easy are the links to install?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I bought lowering links from eBay to solve my desire to be able to flat foot at a stop (a tad height challenged here). Lowering my bike around 2" did wonders for this problem, and honestly, made my bike more manageable, maneuverable, steady at slow/crawling speed, overall more secure and comfortable to ride. I bought Baron Adjustable Lowering Kit, which allows for incremental drop of 1" or 2", and had my bike mechanic install them (because I'm more into riding than the mechanical stuff).

Hope this helps! :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Most people who lower the bike do it for looks, yes, there are some that need to lower for function. And 99% who do only lower the rear, a few have either changed springs in the front or lowered just the fender a bit, but not many. www.johnskits.com is probably the most popular bones that you will find on this site. He is a member here. He also makes a forward control kit that at 6'4" you may want to look at also. As far as how much to lower, personal choice, most go 2" (my choice also). If you ride 2-up how much to lower can come in to play. If you lower make sure to check and adjust the rear brake, it can get to tight and cause a problem. Check after the bike is back on the ground for any rubbing. Also you may want to adjust the shock one notch. Easy to install if you follow the instructions. There are plenty of threads here to help, the axle bolt can be a PITA, but others have advice on how to deal with it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dont know bout the m50. I lowered my 04 vol 2 inches and ride 2 up often.No issues bottoming out yet,unless I get to carried away off roading.I also cranked my shock up all the way.Still rides fine.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
2" is good. 3" may cause problems with 2 up. You will drag your boards either way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts