Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 Volusia with a bad knock at the bottom of the engine. Probably crank shift bearings or at least in that area. So says 2,500 to 3,000 to repair which is more than the bike is probably worth.

So I'm looking for ideas as to how to fix this cheaper. I've seen used engines for less than a grand. Is Love to hear what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
Get a donor engine and move the components over from the old to new. You're going to pay ~$600 in labour to have it done for you, so it is not a cheap fix, no matter what you do.

Unless you are really attached to the bike, you might want to consider parting it out and getting something new

·
Registered
207 Posts
maybe we should split a bike ?

TJSmoot posted that he parting out a C50. I've ask about the frame, but he's not answering...... ???

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
C50 and Volusia engines are different. There are a number of sensors on the C50 that don't exist on the Vol. Also, the Vol is a single fire ignition, the C50 is a dual fire. Not cross compatible.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Were can I order a used motor I've looked on eBay to no avel
I know where a whole bike is in Kingsport, Tennessee for 450.00 It's at Cycle City. The bike has some right side damage and they said transmission, but I am 99% positive it would be stripped driveshaft splines. It also has a Mustang solo seat with backrest.

Cycle City Kingsport, Tennessee

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments. I think I'll start looking to upgrade. Two up riding is not easy on the Vol so a C 90 or similar may be in my future.

·
Registered
21,173 Posts
Pistons, piston rings, wrist pins for the connecting rod for a start. Then you need to measure the run out on the crank itself to see if there is any play in it, or wear from the worn bearings. The list gets quite extensive and expensive.

Basically, you have to gut the engine and measure everything that came out of it. If it is out of spec, you have to replace it..... That is why there is no 'kit' available, as your wear items will be completely different from the next guys's bike.

So make a list of common failure parts like you're doing, then expect the parts list to grow as you tear into things and find what else needs fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.