Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2004 Volusia ls800 a month ago. Had 9000km on it, have already put 1000 more in 2 weekend rides. LOVE IT, but after reading about the gear change. Is it still out there does it work does it last.
I live in nortern BC we ride at 120kmh so i find a little high revs.
Any help would be great.
Hope to meet a few of you along the way馃槅馃槅

Super Moderator
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

I assume you are referring to the DJ Drive Modification. I think someone was selling the modded drives on here recently. Maybe someone will remember more details. Lots of members have done it, and I'm not aware of anyone ever actually regretting it.

Registered
The DJ Drive does reduce your engine RPM a bit at freeway speeds. At 120kmh, you're still going to feel the buzz, even with one installed. I had one on my '05 and thought it was fantastic, until I rode to the Blue Ridge Parkway with my wife as a passenger and a week's worth of clothes. The bike would not hold freeway speeds, ascending I40 out by Hickory, NC in 5th gear. I had to run the grade in 4th gear to make it to the top.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that info. My wife will rarely ride any distance as a passenger. But i do live in the mountains so that is someting to think about.

Premium Member
Welcome from Florida :)

Premium Member
Greetings from Arizona (for now)! Welcome to the forum. Plenty of friendly and knowledgeable folks here.

Many members have done the DJ Drive conversion, myself included. Makes a difference, but will not make the bike a highway cruiser. They were designed to be casual, back road machines. The 800cc motor just won't do highway speeds comfortably and if you are a regular highway rider, you'll eventually kill the engine. They are great bikes for what they were designed for, so slow down and enjoy the ride.

Ride Safe and Often!

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know where to find the DJ parts or unit. I live in northern BC and am about 500 miles from any other major city. So i expect to do alot of highway riding. Unfortunately most of the guys i ride with are HD riders and they cruise at 120kmh at 3000rpm. Sometimes it sounds like i ride a hopped up singer sewer. Lol
Still love my bike more and more
Stay safe and have fun

1 - 10 of 10 Posts