Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2003 Volusia 800 with 5000 miles yesterday.
37 years old but I have been riding since I was 15.
I have always had sportbikes and raced. Took an R1 on a cross country trip once doing 3600 miles in 6 days.

Looking to do another long trip and the R1 was brutal so I bought this in hopes of it being a little more comfortable.

I will pick up another sportbike in the spring more than likely.

Figured I would come here and get ideas.
I know I need to get a windscreen for it.

Hope to see some of you around along the way.
I haven't even rode the bike yet. Ice on the roads and it is 20 degrees at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Welcome, good advice here. The Vol can really be customized to your tastes!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome from NW Florida! If you get a windshield you'll be wanting lowers too, particularly on a long trip. Search the forum for head buffeting and/or lowers. There are more than a few posts on the topic.

·
Registered
666 Posts
missouri mule

Welcome from Missouri. If you are going on long trips i would get a DJ DRIVE. IMO it is the best mod you can do for this bike.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Welcome from Lexington KY.

·
Registered
20,184 Posts
Welcome from Indiana there neighbour.
You will definitely want to get a better seat if you're
planning some llong trips. I have a mustang but have heard good things
about the ultimate seats.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.

What is a DJ DRIVE

What are lowers?

A DJ mod is replacing the Volusia.c50 final drive with the final drive from a bigger bike (only specific models) in order to achieve a "stretching out" of the gears and a lower RPM ride on the highway. So if you are riding on the highway and feel the RPM's are uncomfortably high, doing this mod will reduce the RPM's to a comfortable level. I have my new drive waiting in a box for installation this spring! YAY!

click onto this: http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/171778-dj-drive-owners.html

"Lowers" are shields placed on the front forks meant to change the airflow around the riders body & reduce buffeting. Unless you are thinking about "lowering" your bike- that's different.

Plugging words into the search tool above can bring up a lot of information.

:wayhappy:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plugging words into the search tool above can bring up a lot of information.

:wayhappy:
TOO much information.
Easier just to ask a specific question than to try and decipher a decades worth of arguments.

I found some posts on the DJ drive with expired links.
Is there a HOW-TO on the DJ Drive? Can I just buy another shaft and do it myself or do you have to buy a kit?

I did search that. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
TOO much information.
Easier just to ask a specific question than to try and decipher a decades worth of arguments.

Is there a HOW-TO on the DJ Drive? Can I just buy another shaft and do it myself or do you have to buy a kit?

I have to leave the specifics of this to someone who REALLY knows the mechanics of a bike. My post was a very layman understanding of it. I just know that I am looking forward to the installation on Bessie. Someone will be along shortly, I'm sure!

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Welcome to the boards from KS. 3600 in 6 days sounds like you should check the seat out and upgrade it if needed.

Will you be on the freeway or the highways? The DJ Drive provides lower RPM driving, helpful on freeways (they say by about 14%). So, theoretically at 80mph you could be at about 4,816rpm instead of 5,600rpm resulting in less shake and rattle with your roll. (At least that is my understanding from reading the threads. My cost guess is $700-$1,000+ installed.)

·
Administrator
52,327 Posts
TOO much information.

You'll need a differential from either a: C90, VL1500, VS1400, S83, plus there's an older machine with a usable drive.

The C90, and VL1500 drives must have a bushing installed into the drive's hub, because the axle is larger diameter than the VL800 bikes.
The VS1400 and S83 drive axles are the same diameter as on the VL800 drive.

There are several methods of creating a drive shaft from all of the above mentioned model drive units.

A VL800 drive shaft must have the shoulder machined enough to move it back, a fractional measurement.

C90 and VL1500 drive shafts must either be cut, sleeved, welded, trued and balanced, or machined to a specific measurement.

VS1400 and S83 drive shafts must be cut, sleeved, welded, trued and balanced, to achieve lengthening of that short shaft.

If You haven't the access to a machine shop, and aren't familiar with the specifics to craft such a drive unit, there are alternatives; watch the Swap Meet Forum for a ready to install unit from a member who has sold their VL800, ~or~ there is at least one VR member who is currently building conversion drive kits for a reasonable price.

There are sticky threads posted in the Motors, Transmissions, and Drives forum with vital information regarding the upgrade drives for VL800 bikes:

http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/180488-dj-drive-mod-explained.html
http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/185987-how-guide-vs1400-drive-vl800-c50.html
http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/224688-c90-final-drive-mod-install-pics.html
http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/223453-correct-drawing-driveshaft-machining-updates-new-drawing.html
http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/224360-bb-u-joint-mod-instructions.html

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Virginia.
Ignore these other guys. You just got the bike and they are already wanting you to spend money. Just get on and ride. Save the wallet for later. LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the boards from KS. 3600 in 6 days sounds like you should check the seat out and upgrade it if needed.

Will you be on the freeway or the highways? The DJ Drive provides lower RPM driving, helpful on freeways (they say by about 14%). So, theoretically at 80mph you could be at about 4,816rpm instead of 5,600rpm resulting in less shake and rattle with your roll. (At least that is my understanding from reading the threads. My cost guess is $700-$1,000+ installed.)

Both. My cruising speed is usually around 80mph. I do all of my own work and usually build a bike every summer. If there is a thread or how to, I can probably do it myself depending on tools required.

Thanks for the info. I am definitely looking for more cruising speeds than take off speeds.On a normal bike you would just change the sprockets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome to the forum from Virginia.
Ignore these other guys. You just got the bike and they are already wanting you to spend money. Just get on and ride. Save the wallet for later. LOL

Yeah I definitely do not plan on spending anything on the bike that I can't get back later.

I want to make it as comfortable as possible riding on the highway so If I can add a drive and then just take it back out later and sell it I might go that route.

I might just end up keeping it.
My original plan was to ride it south in the next week or so and put around on it.
Then when it warms up, sell it and buy another sport tourer or build a sport bike into a sport tourer.
I need the speed and I need to be able to ride wheelies. :)

I might just fall in love with this one though and keep it. I am doing the middle age crisis thing backwards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts