Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...lost my leg...support needed www.donationforjosh.com

UPDATE : SEE www.donationforjosh.com THANK YOU

Well...my name on here kripple was a joke because i shattered my ankle playin football a year ago....well now it's a true name....

Some may already know me because of my volusia project me and my dad have been working on for the past 2 years...it's been coming along very nicely i just got some ape hangers put on...

well on august 4th i was crusin with my wife on the back at about 9:20pm...we decided to stop at our friends house which is on the left side of the road...so i'm stopped waiting for traffic so i can make my left hand turn...when i notice the vehicle behind me gettin closer and closer very fast...i soon find out that he doesn't even see me sitting there so in a attempt to save our lives i go for the turn and gun it to get out of his way....it would have worked if he didn't swerve over the double yellow line and T-bone us...the brunt of the hit was taken by my left leg...my wife was thrown down the side of the car catching her leg on the door panel cutting it open....

....later in the hospital we find out that the 16 year old kid who was illegally driving...hit us at 46 mph....my injuries resulted in the amputation of my left leg above the knee...my wifes arm was broken above the elbow where they put a 10 inch long plate and 9 screws in...she also had a gash on her leg that required surgery to repair the muscles....

I want to share this because support helps in this hard time....but also to be a reminder to be aware of the other idiots that don't care that we're there on the road with them...it'll take some getting used to but we'll make it...on the bright side of things we're both alive and i can handle me takin the worst of the hit so that my wife didn't.

below are some pictures of the damage and what my bike looked like before the accident....

I will say to those that are willing to help and able to help....i need a prosthetic to be able to live a normal life...insurance is not willing to do alot at this point...i also can't work so my parents are trying their hardest to cover my bills that are still rolling in.....if you knew me you would know that i am not the type of person to ask for hand outs but i need help from everyone....please PM me if you can help in any way and if you can't help in a donating way your words still mean the world to us....BTW our names are Josh and Jessica Burkett....thank you so much

RIDE SAFE EVERYONE WATCH OUT FOR THE CAGES

·
Banned
4,413 Posts
shit! I'm so sorry to hear this - prayers are going out to both you and your wife.

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
Damn dude, I am sorry to hear this. You seem to be handling it pretty well. I kinda know what you are going through. With todays modern technology you'll be back up and walking before you know it. Prayers to you and your wife for quick and complete healing.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I am so very sorry this happened to you and your wife! I don't have the words to tell you what I'm feeling. Miss Polly and I are sending up prayers for you two, and we will continue to.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dang... hate to see and hear this... you and your wife are in our thoughts and prayers.

I was hit by car on L side on 1 Jul... double compound fracture but docs were able to save leg even though they talked about amputation.

Glad you are up and about and keeping a positive outlook!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
That's terrible news. You're strong, though, being able to recognize that you both got out of it alive and will be able to carry on. I really admire you for that. Thoughts and prayers go out to you both.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
That sucks! Your positive attitude is inspiring and just from this one post I'd say you're going to be just fine. I'm sure it must be amazingly hard but attitude can change bad for good and good for bad so hang on to the positive.

Scary scenario... the worse case terror of seeing it coming, responding to avoid it, and having the respond in the same direction. Dumb kid.

Prayer out for you and the wife. I hope she is as positive as you are.

Andy

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
My thoughts and prayers going out to you and your wife, and bless you for the courage to share your story with everyone. A positive attitudes goes far in doing the most we can with any limitations we may face. God bless you and keep you.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Tough times Kripple...

I don't know you, but I can sure feel for you and the wife bud,
Wish I could snap my fingers and make those tough times disappear.

My best to you for as long as you need support.

jim

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
WOW..............I am just stunned reading this....
Healing karma and prayers coming your way

you didnt say what if anything happened to this 16 yr old kid...

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Prayers and Karma to both of you. I know it has to be tough, but at least you are both alive and that is good news.
Heal fast and make the best of a bad situation if you can.
It's a shame that motorcycles NEVER win!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
PM sent for address

If anyone needs it drop me a note....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's ironic i'm a big seahawks fan too....Thank you to everyone for your support....the kid was unharmed and just received a slap on the wrist i do have a lawyer who is dealing with everything else though....

again thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers

1 - 20 of 91 Posts