Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long 1st post, but here goes. 2001 VL 800. Riding home my bike started sputtering like it was out of gas (wasnt). Next day it fired right up and I went to work. 6 hr shift, on my way home I let off the throttle to turn a corner and it died. No power, lights, nothing. Got it home and bought a new battery, charged it, went to work the next day. (30 mile ride one way) On the way home it died again, same deal. I've checked the battery connections and they're tight so I'm thinking solenoid or stator. I don't have a voltage checker tool so any suggestions besides take it to a shop? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I'll take stator for $100 Alex.

·
Super Moderator
24,375 Posts
I'm with Joe on it being a bad stator. While you're at the store getting parts, is highly recommend a multimeter though. You can pick up a cheap one for about $10. I wouldn't do real electronics repair with it, but it'll give you battery voltages just fine.

You should be getting around 14.4v across the battery while it's running. If not, the stator is bad.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I don't know if it applies here on a Skisuzy, but I had a honda that had a stator go bad on a road trip.
The brushes had worn out.
While it was failing as I went down the highway, every now and then I'd hit a bump, and it was enough to cause the brushes to reconnect for a split second or so and the bike to run fine again, but for only a second.
Anything like that happen?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the same symptoms, turned out to be a bad main fuse. Intermittent at first, then failed solid, which allowed me to troubleshoot and find the problem. That fuse is on the solenoid, so bad connections there could cause the problem. Could also be the ignition switch. I agree with the advise to get an inexpensive multimeter to troubleshoot. Start at the battery and check to see that it is charging as was suggested. Then move from battery to fuse to ignition switch etc. in a logical manner.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Make sure the kick stand is not sticking. The stand when up activates the switch. When the bike is in gear and the kick stand is deployed the engine stops. It only stops the engine, all electrics should still have full power. Kill switch will stop the motor and keep all the electrics full power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts