Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some info here. I have a 2008 C-50 purchased new and well maintained with about 27,000 miles on it.

Was riding on highway doing about 65 mph when it suddenly felt like I put it in neutral, had no forward drive at all in any gear. Prior to this had NO indication of anything wrong, clutch always felt great with no signs of slippage, no hard to shift or problems getting into any gear or neutral.

Reading through this forum I see the driveshaft lack of lubrication and wearing out the spline is a common problem and think this is probably what happened to me. My questions are is there any way to verify the driveshaft is bad without dis-assembling it? Or do I have to take it apart just to see and if that's not the problem have to go from there?

If it is a bad shaft does anyone have a GOOD used one? I am not looking to replace the complete drive unit as I see many others here have done, just want to put it back the way it was.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!
Bob

·
Registered
19,521 Posts
No. You've got to pull the drive to inspect the splines.

99.9% sure you've suffered the failed drive shaft. Good luck!

·
Administrator
52,345 Posts
Keep an eye on the Swap Meet and Motors, Transmissions & Drives Forums.
Also, You may post a Want to Buy for parts on the Swap Meet forum, and bump the thread on a daily basis.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
You might pick up a used shaft from some one parting out a bike, but if that shaft has not been properly maintained the metal may be brittle and subject to failure just like the one your bike.

Most people hang on to their C50 driveshafts in event they ever sell the bike and want to sell their modified drives separately.

You can get a new driveshaft from ronayers.com for about $115, start fresh, get some molybedum lube and order a new grease seal while your at it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, figured it would have to come apart to make sure. Will check ronayers.com didn't know they were that cheap, thought I would be lucky to find a used one for just over a hundred. Will check that out now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts