Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, in 08 I bought a brand new 08 C50T and kept it a year and sold it..
Went on to bigger-engine bikes....now closing in on 80 years of age in 2016 if I make it and bought an 05 C50 with just 1550 miles on it and it is outfitted with a Lehman tramp trike kit (true trike)...I like this bike a lot for solo riding without having to worry much about balancing..

Observation...on another forum, a number of members of that forum said spoke of the C50 engine not being all that durable as compared to some other bikes......One said that the C50 engine longevity is around 44,000 miles give or take...I had not heard that to any extent on the Volusia forum over the years......I am seeking opinions and observations from those experienced with the C50......I would like to add that I will be keeping the valves adjusted probably on or before the schedule, and am using conventional oil with filter change each time the oil gets changed and would see no problem changing oil as often as every 2000 miles if that would help.....

Also, if I went synthetic oil and wanted to be extra "safe", would changing oil and filter every 4000 miles be overkill?

Thank you..

·
Super Moderator
57,495 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about it going bad at 44K as there are many here that have many more on theirs. You don't need to overkill the oil changes or valve adjustments either. Just stick with the recommended changes and maintenance schedule and you'll be fine. Today's oils are pretty good.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Personally from the observations I have seen around the forums and internet. I would say that the 44,000 miles is a fair estimate. Some people have gotten many more miles and some have gotten way less.
I would not have a VL800 for a longevity motorcycle. That's why I sold mine and got a VL1500 those bikes go for 200k and no valve adjustment.
Also when you mention conventional oil, I hope you are not using car oil. These bikes have a wet clutch and really need a motorcycle specific oil.
I don't let my bike get to 4,000 miles before I change the oil, synthetic or not.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Don't know how a number like 44k can be offered? Based on what? Some get 30k, some get 60k, then that means the bike get an avg of 44k? Hundreds of variables to explain here.

I've got an 06 with 60k on mine and it's a daily commuter. I guess I'm extending your bike everyday.

Seriously... Ride it and enjoy it for however long that is. Do the maintenance you've suggested and it is what it is. Sometimes I think these types of questions should be asked before a rider buys the bike, not after!

Good luck and take care of the bike and it will take care of you. I hope I'm riding as an octogenarian.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many thanks

Many thanks for comments.....I believe the guy who stated 44K seemed to be suggesting that it was about the median mileage, meaning half get more and half get less...He didn't say how he arrived at that number...

60 K achieved by one of you is encouraging...

Best,

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I have almost 68,000 miles on my 05. My rule for oil changes is when it drops a quart low I change the oil and filter usually it's at about 2 to 2.5k miles. I switched from dino to synthetic at about 15k miles. I use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50. Sure it's a bit expensive changing the oil 4- 5 times a year, But then again I hit the key a week ago and she started right up.
I keep reading about the need for cam-chain replacement but after she warmed up I heard no chain slap or any other unusual sounds.
Usually when I hear of early engine failure a little research proves the owner has made modifications to the engine. Exhaust, fuel processors etc. Seldom is the engine stock.
The only mechanical Mod I did was a DJ drive because from day 1 I felt the bike was revving to high.
I haven't heard anyone running one in a trike. That will be interesting to follow. I did meet a Canadian at Americade a couple of years ago who was pulling a trailer with his C-50.
In your case I hope you out live the motor :wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
My guess is as the years roll by it's true longevity will become apparent. I expect it too be similar to most modern midsized bikes close to 100,000 miles if you are a daily rider or 15 years if you only ride once in a while mostly for fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts