Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought my bike the longest ride I've done was maybe 4 hours and I have to say my butt was done. I now have a few mods to help; mustang seat, 2" lowered, & some risers. Any ideas how long I'll be able to ride? I'd like to make the Myrtle Beach Bike week & knowing how long I can ride in a day will greatly help in planning.

I know everyone is different but how long can you go on your mustang? I'll have to do a longer ride this weekend.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It has been my experience that regardless of what your seat is you still need to "condition" yourself to longer rides over time. I've had some bikes with pretty crappy seats but found that by the end of the riding season it didn't matter I'd become used to it. That being said, I like the longer rides myself, 12 er 13 hours a day and use an Airhawk cushion. It helps me most because I can rock around on it while riding when I start getting numb. just my .02

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12 or 13 hours? I can bearly do that in my car or truck.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Well with the Mustang seat I had no problems going 10 hours but I was still done after that.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I get trashed from the vibes and wind more than the seat.

Not saying a comfy seat would'nt be a plus.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I found that a plain curly sheepskin pad will help to make the saddle a little more comfortable especially when the temperatures get hotter.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
665 miles, give or take, according to Mapquest. You should be able to do that in a 10-12 hour day. The saving grace with the Vol is that you have to get off the road for gas every 2-3 hours. Stretch a bit, take it easy, and you should be able to make it in one day. Do condition yourself to longer rides though, as suggested earlier.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys...now I need to find some cool luggage to pack on the back seat.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Like anything, the more you do.... the more you can do. I find the biggest issue , is avoiding "monkey butt"..... which the air cushions and / or sheepskin is supposed to help prevent.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Bebop said:
I found that a plain curly sheepskin pad will help to make the saddle a little more comfortable especially when the temperatures get hotter.

Cheers!
+1. Got my sheepskin pad from alaskaleather.com and love it. Have it on the stock seat and have no problems. I rode 7 hours across North Carolina in one day with no issues.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
i did a SS1000 (thousand miles in 24 or less) on a granucci seat, FWD controls, lowered 3" and 16" apes.

make it confortable, manage your fatigue well.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
10 to 12 hours on the Mustang, but after that I was toast.

That was taking a break every 2 to 3 hours for a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Nightrage said:
Since I bought my bike the longest ride I've done was maybe 4 hours and I have to say my butt was done. I now have a few mods to help; mustang seat, 2" lowered, & some risers. Any ideas how long I'll be able to ride? I'd like to make the Myrtle Beach Bike week & knowing how long I can ride in a day will greatly help in planning.

I know everyone is different but how long can you go on your mustang? I'll have to do a longer ride this weekend.
You should just ride up here to Charleston and get a room in billeting for a night and head out again the next day.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Each one of us is different in that respect. As some have said first you need to condition yourself for the long ride. Secondly is to get some quality rest prior to the ride. Third plan a short stop every hour ~ hour and a half or at least a good rest stop with your fueling. Seems like you've addressed the comfort and positioning now just get the stamina up.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
10 hours in a day is about all I can handle. I've done longer but it stopped being fun after 10.

For me I find it works best to stop for a good 30 minutes every 3 hours or so as opposed to a shorter stop with each fill up. So for me every other fill up I stop for a longer period. I tried a few variants. 20 minutes each fill up. No real breaks at the fill up but a good hour mid-ride break. I found the consistent longer breaks made the most difference for me.

Give it a try. You'll make it and learn a few things along the way.

Andy

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nightrage said:

i did memphis, tn to jacksonville, fl - 730 miles - in one day (14 hours) on a mustang "day tripper" installed on my (now sold) stratoliner...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
The sheepskin is a great idea, stopping every 30 - 45 minutes BEFORE you get sore works too.

The Mustang is especially helpful because it gives a wider surface to support more of your butt. The big problem with the stock seat is that there is little side support, you end up feeling like you're sitting on a bar running front to back. It looks wide, but it is crowned and tends to fall off the sides.

Enter the Russell "All Day Saddle."

A little pricey, butt worth it in my opinion. (So cleverly worded there...)

Anyway, I sent in my seat pan and the leather you see here, and they send back one heck of a comfortable seat.

Russell Motorcycle Products.

(I had a gel seat to use while waiting for the Russell.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts