Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not like the rear shift on my '06 c50t. The only solution that I keep hearing is cut it off!! I wouldn't mind doing that as I would like the foot space and would like to have longer boards. I see the Barons on line everywhere but they are pricey. Any other suggestions for both issues?:help:

·
Super Moderator
25,212 Posts
If you get longer boards you could sell your boards here and also offer to swap your heel toe shifter with a simple toe shifter. I think you need more than just the lever, but it's easier to swap with someone who wants what you have than try to mod it yourself.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't find any way to swap just a toe shifter for this version. Apparently, this year can only be fitted with both a toe and heel shifter since it's attached to the board also.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
How long have you used the heel shifter? I like the heel shifter a lot. It is easy to get used to and became automatic for me quickly. Plus, the top of my left boot looks like the top of my right boot.... I would like a longer board as my feet don't fit perfectly between the toe and heel bars but it's not that big of a deal for me as I am comfortable with my toes pointing out some anyways.

I do recommend the Gman's Gbushing for the shifter if your bike doesn't have one. It is a self-oiling brass bushing that replaced a rusted ungreased bushing in my new-to-me used bike. The rusted bushing made me push harder for shifting but the Gbushing shifts with less pressure.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Replace it with a regular toe shift...(there's no way Suzi made a one year only board/peg/shift mount...and once you rack up some time here you'll discover the heel/toes are very sought after parts...meaning it should be pretty easy to find someone that wants to swap shifters.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I didn't like the heel-toe shifter at first since I had never used one before, but after a short while I would not go without it. Have you been riding a long time with the heel shifter? Of course it is your choice but I would give it a while if you haven't ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually like using it. However, the issue is that it's in my way for my leg length. I didn't clarify that enough in the opening post. I prefer to have a heel shift as it seems natural to me. But my knee aches so badly after awhile, then I start sticking it out too far on the back edge therefore safety is an issue if I hit a bump. I can easily use the front shift no prob, so I thought about looking for a front shift and maybe even adding longer boards if I can find a brand that is cheaper than Barons.
So, it seems, I may be able to find a single front shift by what some folks are responding with,,, or I can just have someone cut off the rear shift (ghetto to me but possible). Adding long boards is for additional comfort but not as necessary as dealing with the rear shift. I did see what appeared to be a DIY on another brand motorcycle where the rear shift was ground or polished down to a "nub". Out of the way but still usable.
Keep in mind, this is for ergonomic purposes first. Most cruisers would be an issue for me then. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
am comfortable with height. Just need options for moving my legs around and need to have my feet closer. I have shorter legs but long enough that I reach the ground very well. Just wanting to see options for shifting. I can use the rear but it's simply in the way no doubt about it for me. If my Femur were longer, then there would be no issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts