Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried going to thrrotlebunny site but it keeps taking me to main page. I'd like to be able to lay plate down but don't want to mod the bracet. Could anyone give me a refresher on it. Thanks :?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
aVOL2 said:
http://throttlebunny.typepad.com/tblog/mod_squad/index.html
Okay, I'm an idiot and overlooking something obvious to everyone but me. Number 6, the "replace the rubber base, large guide washers and original screws from under fender base. Reach back under the fender and by using the original nuts and washers from the base tag bracket, tighten until secure" step. My base uses something that looks like a hexagon shaped cap nut with a phillips head screw between the bracket and license plate backing plate. Of course the screw isn't long enough to be used instead of the bolt, and that hexagon nut didn't fit the bolt and the bolt now would stick well past where the license plate would sit. Before I just run over to Ace or Lowe's to just buy new fasteners, can you enlighten me?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
plate mod done ????

Thank you for your help. this time I got to thrrotlebunnies site.It turned out I will have to take apart somtime it's a little off center but looks good

·
Registered
174 Posts
LkwdC50B said:
aVOL2 said:
Okay, I'm an idiot and overlooking something obvious to everyone but me. Number 6, the "replace the rubber base, large guide washers and original screws from under fender base. Reach back under the fender and by using the original nuts and washers from the base tag bracket, tighten until secure" step. My base uses something that looks like a hexagon shaped cap nut with a phillips head screw between the bracket and license plate backing plate. Of course the screw isn't long enough to be used instead of the bolt, and that hexagon nut didn't fit the bolt and the bolt now would stick well past where the license plate would sit. Before I just run over to Ace or Lowe's to just buy new fasteners, can you enlighten me?
I am in the same boat! Please help!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
LkwdC50B said:
aVOL2 said:
I bought longer srews.. I think two screws an two nuts... :)

sounds like suzki changes some thing on the C50.. :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
aVOL2 said:
I bought longer srews.. I think two screws an two nuts... :)
In the context of that response, thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm sure the innuendo comments can (and most likely will) follow.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Special Ed said:
http://therusks.com/index.php?module=documents&JAS_DocumentManager_op=downloadFile&JAS_File_id=25
My senility must be kicking in early, I printed that off a while back and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Ed, I found a couple of bolts to do it that way and it's relatively flat.

It looks great and I debadged it, so overall a productive couple of nights. :wayhappy:

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
I just did this to the new bike I picked up yesterday, and after messing with trying to get the rubber basepad back into place, I broke down and squared off all of the edges with a razor blade, then used a tiny center punch to seat the corners. This worked well enough that the remaining outer edges fell right into position.

For the new bolts, I used 1/4" x 1.5" Carriage bolts, but I ground off the squared post under the heads, so it would fit flush. On the underside of the fender, I used the original washers, followed by loc-washers, and then the nuts... Worked like a charm!

-Tim

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
I just asked Gonz to do mine for me @ Tott2 last year :wink:

was easy as pie. :lol:

·
Registered
476 Posts
i used the toilet bowl bolts cause they are flat (that was someones idea in a post here somewhere.) I dremeled off about an inch on each bolt..
I also spun the base plate upside down so the original dimples were not near the rubber base plate which makes it lay much nicer. I also put some washers in the rubber to keep it all from squishing down too far when i tightened the bolts.
It came out real nice and was very easy and took no time at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts