Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Removing bolts

How do you remove the retaining bolts for the old license plate bracket? I have seen some of you have covered the holes. I don't want to put reflectors in them. I want to take them out and put in some black plastic caps to cover the holes.

Thanks!

Adrian

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you remove the retaining bolts for the old license plate bracket? I have seen some of you have covered the holes. I don't want to put reflectors in them. I want to take them out and put in some black plastic caps to cover the holes.

Thanks!

Adrian
+1

I was playing around with this yesterday. I have to pieces that protrude from the fender where the license plate mount was. I cannot seem to see how they would be removed. They are sandwiched between the fender and what looks like a fender support but it doesn't look as though that support can be separated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I finally got around to doing this today, mostly because I had also ordered a chrome fender tip from a seller on eBay and it arrived yesterday, and I figured I would kill two birds with one stone.

The old retaining "bolts" on my 2006 C50 aren't bolts at all; they're really just grommets, sandwiched in between the fender and the metal bracket:

Getting them out was super simple: just remove the rear seat, and lift the fender and jiggle. Sure enough, they fell right out. I couldn't screw anything into them anyway, not without putting something behind them, and I wanted anything I put there to be flush. I ended up putting my old license plate reflector screws there for now.

The finished result:

I actually bought a motorcycle LED license plate light, but it turns out that the brackets for it are too large, so I'm going to have to figure something out. Probably lighted LED screws, as someone else has done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I have something to add to it.

I too have wanted to do this mod for a while. The plate looks goofy sticking up in the air - I have the rear seat, backrest, cargo rack, and pegs removed. I too need to have a light on my plate or I can get ticketed.

While I was poking around to see where I could mount it I noticed that the space under the reflector is quite open - so I built a bracket and mounted a small license plate light. I've included a few "not completed" pictures so others can see what I did. I did drill two holes in the fender to mount the plate mount. I installed 3/8" thick rubber washers between the plate and the fender. I used the clear red part of tuck tape (red construction sealing) to cover (from the inside) the clear part of the rear tail light. And I changed the direction of the plate mounting bolts from what they are in the pictures; I also cut them shorter for better clearance - the picture was just the mock-up.

I also found very shoddy wiring when I moved the tail light - I'll be fixing that too as I wire up the license plate light.

I finished the mod. I added a plate with wings to add the LED amber/red light strips for extra visibility (turn signals and brakes). To fill the holes of the old plate mount I filled them with Sugru (a moldable silicone type glue/rubber). I have the nameplates from when I repainted my 1982 Suzuki GS1100GK (over 20 years ago - my hoarding pays off again) - I covered up the filled holes with one of them. Pays homage to my first road bike.

Attachments

61 - 70 of 70 Posts