Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used one of the plug-in LED bulbs in the tail light? Are they bright? I was thinking about geting the Radiantz LED tail light ($$$) but thought I might try just the bulb if it works pretty good....Thanks

·
Registered
421 Posts
If you're considering for safety purposes Radiantz or Custom dynamics may be your best bet. The others just don't have the lumens to complete IMO. I tried one from eBay that had strobe functionality and I personally liked the brighter standard 1157 bulb better.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I had the Tail/Brake/License bulb from superbrightled.com , It worked although it did not fill the entire lens with light just a narrow beam.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had the Tail/Brake/License bulb from superbrightled.com , It worked although it did not fill the entire lens with light just a narrow beam.
That's a very good point...guess I'm going with the Radiantz, now if I can find a smoke tail lens I'll be rolling.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Led

Based on my experience with my cars and trucks stop/tail/reverse lights, If you do LED make sure you use the high power ones, they are about $35 a pair, but the regular $2 ones just arent bright enough.
The ones with the lens at the end put out a very narrow beam, but it is bright! I put 45W reverse bulbs in my navigator, through the rear view i can see for a mile, but the spread isnt the same as the incadecents, so the view out the side views is actually worse.
with the TV back up camera though it looks like daylight out there.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
Has anyone ever used one of the plug-in LED bulbs in the tail light? Are they bright? I was thinking about geting the Radiantz LED tail light ($$$) but thought I might try just the bulb if it works pretty good....Thanks
Something to consider before jumping on the LED bandwagon....

Motorcycle LED Brake and Tail Lights - webBikeWorld

While they draw considerably less energy, cycle on and off much faster and last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs, test after test reveals that the LED lights simply do not produce near as much light as their incandescent counterparts.

A 2397 bulb can produce 503 lumens @ 12.3v while the brightest LED, the Radiantz. manages only 140 lumens. They also do not last long in motorcycles due to the constant vibration they are subjected to. So, that, coupled with your desired smoked tail light will actually REDUCE your visibility to cars behind you.

People already can't see brightly lit motorcycles as it is.... There really is no reason to make yourself less visible to them....

·
Registered
624 Posts
LEDs tend not to be as bright in daylight as incandescent as well, especially if you're planning to use a smoked lense.

If you're looking to get more light back there might I suggest changing the turn signals to Run/Brake/Turn with red or clear lenses.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something to consider before jumping on the LED bandwagon....

Motorcycle LED Brake and Tail Lights - webBikeWorld

While they draw considerably less energy, cycle on and off much faster and last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs, test after test reveals that the LED lights simply do not produce near as much light as their incandescent counterparts.

A 2397 bulb can produce 503 lumens @ 12.3v while the brightest LED, the Radiantz. manages only 140 lumens. They also do not last long in motorcycles due to the constant vibration they are subjected to. So, that, coupled with your desired smoked tail light will actually REDUCE your visibility to cars behind you.

People already can't see brightly lit motorcycles as it is.... There really is no reason to make yourself less visible to them....
Skrap, That's some good information...Thanks...things that make you go hummm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts