Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally made the last upgrade and now am 100% LED.

The only special thing was needing to change the flasher relay to one that is mechanical and designed for fixed flash rate.(no matter what the load is) This was cheap and easy, $5 at the auto parts store and it came pre-wired. And it's got a barely audible click. Ahhhh. (still want one of those little Japanese bell relays though....instead of a click it has a tiny "ding")

The turn signal bulbs are all 1157 and 1156 smd LEDs and each one has 22 smd emitters. Outside the OEM housing it appears as a perfect 8x8 square, even though the emitter face is round. and it's bright.
There is a flaw though.
The new emitters draw so little power that the onboard thinks there's a burnt out bulb somewhere and keeps the turn signal indicator lit.
It still "flashes" when in use except now it's always on instead of always off.
It's just an extra green light on the speedo face, but still

Anybody got a fix?

The tailight bulb is an older generation LED 1157 that's been there at least three years now, still no sign of fade.

And the last was a new headlamp bulb, a 30W COB 4500lm LED with a heat sink (!) AND a self contained mini fan built into the base of the emitter.
Has three emitters and two are for low beams, all three are on when high beams are needed. The light is stronger than my previous HID bulb. Maybe stick those HID's into the Civic...

Total upgrade cost:
$8 first generation 1157 LED emitter (in 2012)
$20 for pack of 20 1156 and 1157 LEDs. (10 ea) (amazon)
$5 mechanical flasher relay constant flash rate. (parts store local)
$22 LED Headlamp H4 (amazon)
0$ blood sweat tears

$55 for a cheap turn-your-head upgrade. No Bling, just performance upgrade
Sounds do able , so I did.

Anyone?

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
My LEDS (turnsignals & brakelight) caused the same thing on the speedo. The light is pretty dim but stays on. I was told it was a small feedback on the electrical system. Only difference is I get an LED relay to replace the stock one from ebay.

I'm interested in your headlight set-up. Where did you find it?.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I have led's except for headlight, my turn signal light does not stay lit, except when using the signals it goes from bright green to a dull green but when I cancel the signal it goes out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
111 Posts
Couple of comments about LED.

1. I asked which type of SMDs? The reason behind the question is that there two types of SMDs commonly used in these bulbs. 3528 and 5050. 5050 SMD is more expensive and is three times as bright as 3528. Thus, 22 SMD's of type 5050 are equivalent to 66 type 3528 SMD's. I could not find out from the amazon link whether they were 5050 or 3528.
  2. The second point is that if you want to use an LED bulb for your brakes, it's best to use red LED. In the white light produced by an LED, only portion of the lumnes are in the red region of the light. Red is passed through the red lens cover and the rest is absorbed by the lens. Once again,you are using only a portion of the light produced by a white LED.
  3. White LEDs can be used for back u lights or those lights whose lens cover is white. It's best to use LEDs of the same colopur as the lens.

·
Registered
19,887 Posts
Couple of comments about LED.

1. I asked which type of SMDs? The reason behind the question is that there two types of SMDs commonly used in these bulbs. 3528 and 5050. 5050 SMD is more expensive and is three times as bright as 3528. Thus, 22 SMD's of type 5050 are equivalent to 66 type 3528 SMD's. I could not find out from the amazon link whether they were 5050 or 3528.
  2. The second point is that if you want to use an LED bulb for your brakes, it's best to use red LED. In the white light produced by an LED, only portion of the lumnes are in the red region of the light. Red is passed through the red lens cover and the rest is absorbed by the lens. Once again,you are using only a portion of the light produced by a white LED.
  3. White LEDs can be used for back u lights or those lights whose lens cover is white. It's best to use LEDs of the same colopur as the lens.

Correct on that. I picked up amber ones for my front signals and red for the rear signals. I noticed on the rear that with the reflecters, it looked like it had a white ring. I lined the reflecters with red reflecting strips from my works fleet. They show bright red now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
One can get can get 68, 96,1as many as 120 SMD's of type 3528.
I had bought a red LED with 39 SMD's . It wasn't very bright.

Thank for your post describing your experience scorpion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
all lights will be led only ones i have not attacked yet are the dash lights no problems yet except when i hit the turn signal it goes from bright green to dull green has anybody changed these out as well if so any pointers?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can you please post the Amazon info (brand, part number) on the Headlamp LED? I keep looking but just come up with 45W LED. Would a 45W work too? Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here ya go. When you look/search at the page, look for "LED H4" as search term, and also look for 3000 Lm (lumen output) for each bulb (more is better). If they are sold as each, that'll show as the max Lumens. Beware, some sellers will try to sell less powerful sets using total lumen produced by both bulbs as standard representation of output. Just be sure you know that if it says 3000 lumen output, then that should be per bulb

http://www.amazon.com/2500LM-Motorcycle-Headlight-Front-Connector/dp/B010DNVK8Y/ref=sr_1_305?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1456116551&sr=1-305&keywords=led+h4+headlight+bulbs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts