Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next time I buy a car, it will be one without a continuously variable transmission (CVT). They should really call these “Torque-less Transmissions”. I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue, the last of the old body styles. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great car…dependable and amazing in the snow. But it’s got zero pick up and kind of sucks to drive.
I took the bike out today for the first ride of the season. Granted it’s only a C50 but between the shifting and the torque, it was a nice reprieve from the Rogue.
I guess on a human service worker’s salary and having two teenagers, I’ll consider myself lucky to be able to afford a C50 and a Nissan.
I didn’t get out much last season or to meet up for lunch rides or rallies. I haven’t been on the website really at all over the past year.
I miss the VR family and look forward to seeing folks at MayBay and Yankee this season.
Hope everyone is well.

ps. where are those gif emojis...the one's that clap and get electrocuted?

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
I had a CVT back in 2003. It failed at 93,000 miles (the belt broke) and the replacement cost was $6k. I will never own another CVT transmission equipped vehicle for as long as I live. I'd rather walk.

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
I've got a Prius. I'm pretty sure it has a CVT. I've got almost 200k miles on it and have had zero problems. I often beat other cars off of the line because they lose power when their car shifts gears, you can tell because they drop back suddenly right at the point that the car would normally shift.

I don't know, I'm kind of a fan of the CVT.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
CVT's or sometimes their smaller counterparts, known as torque converters, work best on minibikes, snowmobiles, and gokarts.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a Prius. I'm pretty sure it has a CVT. I've got almost 200k miles on it and have had zero problems. I often beat other cars off of the line because they lose power when their car shifts gears, you can tell because they drop back suddenly right at the point that the car would normally shift.

Hybrids and electric cars are the exception. Electric cars are ALL torque at take off or when you hit the gas to accelerate, pass , etc. Then the gas engine takes over (at least on the hybrids). This is a nice work around for the traditional CVT tranny.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
If I had a Prius, I'd sell it, and move the hell out of Kalifornia! ;)
But that's just me :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've got a 2018 Rogue. Frankly, I have no problem whatsoever with the CVT, and find the car amazingly peppy for a 4-banger of pretty good size and weight. Yeah, going up an on-ramp to the Interstate I have to put my boot in it pretty heavy, but when I do, it goes.

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
If I had a Prius, I'd sell it, and move the hell out of Kalifornia! ;)
But that's just me :)

It's really just a Carolla that gets better gas mileage. There's nothing wrong with the car, it's just that the vast majority of drivers are whiny little pinko commies who drive like grandmas.

My wife laughs all the time because I bad mouth Prius owners.

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
I've got a 2018 Rogue. Frankly, I have no problem whatsoever with the CVT, and find the car amazingly peppy for a 4-banger of pretty good size and weight. Yeah, going up an on-ramp to the Interstate I have to put my boot in it pretty heavy, but when I do, it goes.
Can't be any worse than a Ford Festiva. I got stuck with one of those as a rental one time because I needed something fast and it was all they had. That thing would actually lose speed on an uphill climb while I had the gas floored. A golf cart with a bad battery could have beat that thing.

·
Super Moderator
20,056 Posts
Kia Soul...now theres a great car...all 2ooo lbs of it...be careful on a windy day tho...still...fun to drive.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts

The Prius uses a unique split transmission where the electric motor is actually BEHIND the CVT. At speeds below 15mph, the vehicle uses electric power only to accelerate. Above 15mph, it kicks in the ICE and then uses both the engine output and the electric motor to continue to accelerate. Because of this shared load, the CVT will last substantially longer than a standard one, but it will still eventually suffer the same failure in the converter.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I rented a vehicle with the cvt, did not care for it at all, had my dad with me going to a store and he nervously said, perhaps we should head back to the house before this thing breaks down. Wasn't horrible if you drove it hard, but normal driving it always felt like the tranny was slipping.
My wife currently has a 2016 VW CC with their DSG trans, now that I really like. I'd like to see the big 3 go with that technology in a full size pickup.

·
Registered
495 Posts

It's really just a Carolla that gets better gas mileage. There's nothing wrong with the car, it's just that the vast majority of drivers are whiny little pinko commies who drive like grandmas.

My wife laughs all the time because I bad mouth Prius owners.
I have a 2013 Nissan Xterra, my wife has a Prius. She drives faster than I do. LOL

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
I have a 2013 Nissan Xterra, my wife has a Prius. She drives faster than I do. LOL
The slowest cars on the roads around here are Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers, anything in that range. I can only assume it's one of two things.

A) They have already been pulled over too many times and can't afford another ticket

B) The people who can afford the purchase price and insurance on a nice new sports car are older successful people who drive like grandmas regardless of the vehicle they're in

Regarding the Prius, the greatest thing about it is that I haven't slowed down a bit since I bought it, but my driving record is much cleaner. Obviously cops just assume that a Prius isn't speeding and don't even bother trying to clock it.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Prius? How much does it cost to replace a headlight? They be an ugly vehicle in my opinion. No thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
Prius? How much does it cost to replace a headlight? They be an ugly vehicle in my opinion. No thanks!
I swapped the headlights out with LEDs. You're welcome to whatever opinion you wish to have. It's paid for and gets about 40mpg. I'm married with three kids, I couldn't possibly care less what it looks like.

·
Super Moderator
24,387 Posts
If it weren't for having to sit in Atlanta traffic, I'd go back to a manual transmission in a heartbeat. I miss having one.

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
I don't know how you can live in that city, Whiskey.... I have customers there and can't stand the traffic. When I have to go to my customer's DC in Cartersville, I fly into Chatanooga and drive down. It is much faster than sitting on I75 going through downtown. I joke that I've spent so much time sitting beside the Georgia Tech campus that I've earned an honorary doctorate....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts