Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered and recieved a High Five Inhaler intake and installed it.

Upon Install I have found 3 things I did not like.

1st:
Comming w/ the Intake from Onieda Suzuki( nothing about them just where I got it) is a Thunder Manufacturing adapter.
This adapter does not have a fitting for the PAIR valve hose.
They give you a cheap plastic shpiping hose cover and tell you to cap off the line. They said that it is not needed w/ an aftermarket intake.

I got around this by buying a breather filter and cut off a part of it and shoved it into the pipe. Not happy w/ this but a solution for me. I like PAIR valves.

2nd:
The the place where the IAT probe (Intake air temp) goes wasn't spot faced deep enough for the probes o-ring to let the probe sit flush.
I got it to sit almost flat and hoping the o-ring seals around the probe.

3rd:
I try to install the intake back plate and discover it won't fit the way Kury wants it. A phone call to to Thunder and I find that he makes you mount it upside down.
Okay, I think It's round , no biggie.
I finsh the install and one of the cover screws ( they are in the back as the one on the front are fake) can't go in.
Once more ok, no bigger ( see a trend?).
Scrdvr was at my house and I tell him whats what.
He said lets try the tank on. Guess what? Upside down it interfears w/ the tank bumper going in and so the tank won't go on.

Basicly the hole the air goes thru is off center. so normal kury way it sit low. upside down it sits high. So in normal mounting only one original screw hole fits and to mount it and use the highfive I have to drill and tap 2 new holes to match the backplate.

For $238 I should not have these problems.
edit:
If you are thinking of getting one this is what you are facing.check the adapter plate and intake back plate alignment. True, drilling and tapping 2 hole is no big deal. Except I don't have that tap and die set (extra expense) and shouldn't hafta.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
the Hypercharger fits just right, but you've already spent your money. Glad you got worked out, but like you stated, you shouldn't have to do all that for the price. That is a good looking intake. People are always asking me about the Hypercharger. It does draw attention.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't drilled yet and got an email reply to my unhappy one. They want to know details and pictures. It appears they are interested in getting it right.

will send and update when I get more from them.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Wise Guy Dave has that air cleaner and intake. Contact him and see if he had any problems.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
Toe Knee also had one on his C50 before he sold it, I don't think he had the same problems.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beginning to think I recieved the wrong adapter.

·
Premium Member
14,446 Posts
You have a PM

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
solution: the adapter plate looks decieving.
It looks to fit well one way....but is UPSIDE DOWN to mount the intake.

Turn it over and align it right and it fit but not as well looking as the other way. However, it is the way to mount the intake correctly.

BUT IT STILL HAS A GAP. I think the plate is mis made

how I had it: look to fit w/ the curve of adapter.

Turn it around and my p[late still has gaps :oops:
I ask they put a pic in for the correct way for the next guy

·
Premium Member
23,762 Posts
v0lusia said:
Toe Knee also had one on his C50 before he sold it, I don't think he had the same problems.
Yeah...I actually have Toe Knee's intake. Took about 15 minutes to install. I wouldn't trade for anything out there. :D

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found out what went wrong.

I have a carbed plate and an older adapter.

Thanks Oneida.

Just talked to the boss on the phone. He ID'ed it as this and IS sending me the correct plate out free even tho it wasn't his fault.

That's standing by your products!

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
wiseguydave said:
v0lusia said:
Yeah...I actually have Toe Knee's intake. Took about 15 minutes to install. I wouldn't trade for anything out there. :D

If I remember-I shipped it to you already assembled. I can't remember.

first, you can easily block off the pair valve. Remove the big hose entirely. It will snake through the jugs. AT THE PAIR VALVE SIDE, disconnect it. Use the small black plug that is on the bottom of your OEM air box. It's just the right size to plug up that side.

second, the last picture you posted of the adapter plate looks wrong all together. you should have a cork gasket that you use between the airduct and the adapter plate. ALSO, that plate looks backwards. when you mount the high five, you should only be able to mount 4 of the 5 mounting bolts.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
oops.....I was typing when you where making your last post.....it sounds like you are all set now.

when you get the new plate, pm me and I'll give a hand if I can.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
BTW box.....when you get the new plate, you are going to find that it can be mounted a couple different ways.

Maybe WGD can post a picture of mine.....er um.....HIS with the cover and filter removed.

That way you'll see exactly which way you need to mount it.

{jk dave-good to see you}

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Toe Knee said:
BTW box.....when you get the new plate, you are going to find that it can be mounted a couple different ways.

Maybe WGD can post a picture of mine.....er um.....HIS with the cover and filter removed.

That way you'll see exactly which way you need to mount it.

{jk dave-good to see you}
the boss of thunder has pics of the plate I have and told me which way it suppose to mount. This is why he can ID the one I have as carbed. It supposed mount like the pic I posted but w/ different holes.
Now I just hafta wait for the correct plate.

good thing (sorta) I am not riding cause of my knee. I have time on my hands to wait an do it right.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I thought my adapter was wrong for my Hypercharger. Maybe I have a carb adapter too? and there was no cork gasket between the two adapters.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
3 cork/paper gaskets and a hose and some plastic fittings I have no use for came with my Intake. The exploded view showed a spacer. Kury told me it was for a HD and only use the plastic seal ring for my application.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
There IS a plastic ring (and a plastic gasket) that you need but you should also place a cork gasket between the mounting plate and the duct. Other wise you will have to crank down the mounting bolts to the point that you could damage things. You HAVE to make sure there is no air leak at that mating point. Otherwise you will have 'dirty' air on the 'clean' side of the air filter.

also, there are quite a few plastic pieces that you don't need BUT there are two holes in the rear of the air duct that you have to block up with 2 of the plastic "nuts". Again-if you don't you'll have dirty air on the wrong side of the filter.

Did you see what I posted about how to block off the pair valve?

edit---btw......I wouldn't count on Kury for advice. They manufacture the cover and supply the k&n filter. Nothing more. they don't even MAKE a high five for the c50-It's all the doing of Thunder. They and oneida put the kit together. I'm surprised they talked to you because 3 years ago, they would not support this product for the c50.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Toe Knee said:
There IS a plastic ring (and a plastic gasket) that you need but you should also place a cork gasket between the mounting plate and the duct. Other wise you will have to crank down the mounting bolts to the point that you could damage things. You HAVE to make sure there is no air leak at that mating point. Otherwise you will have 'dirty' air on the 'clean' side of the air filter.

also, there are quite a few plastic pieces that you don't need BUT there are two holes in the rear of the air duct that you have to block up with 2 of the plastic "nuts". Again-if you don't you'll have dirty air on the wrong side of the filter.

Did you see what I posted about how to block off the pair valve?

edit---btw......I wouldn't count on Kury for advice. They manufacture the cover and supply the k&n filter. Nothing more. they don't even MAKE a high five for the c50-It's all the doing of Thunder. They and oneida put the kit together. I'm surprised they talked to you because 3 years ago, they would not support this product for the c50.
I think I will put a liitle liquid gasket between the new plate and adapter box when it comes.

It seems If I put a paper gasket between the pastic ring and the adapter it will not be fully pressed up between them.

Kury makes/sells the entire intake. Thunder makes the adapter box w/ its cover plate and Kury makes the intake back plate

I did not cap the PAIR valve. Instead I shoved some Breather filter foam in it and left it as is. I like PAIR valves.

The only non screw holes in my box are filled w/ the IAT probe and its' attaching screw. The Adapter box plate covers all the rest of the not used screw holes in it.

I guess 3 years of C50 sales and thier unit being bought for the kit by Oneida got thier attention. Especially if they are not stupid about making money.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts