Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered Kury ISO Grips for my '07 C50. Any tips on how to install? Is it easy to do? Local service shop charges 20.00 to install. Should I do it myself or pay them?

·
Registered
129 Posts
It's very easy to do. I just did mine two weeks ago. Follow the instructions. Took about 20 minutes. I also have an 07.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Easy enough to do. Follow the instructions and if you use the glue that comes with them... believe that it will set fast. You can't make a mistake. Some members suggest you use a different type of adhesive that doesn't set as fast.

When removing the left grip you can do so without cutting it off. Best tip I received from a member here was to use an allen key to insert under the grip and then rotate it around breaking the seal of the glue. Worked perfectly!

·
Registered
337 Posts
The only real difficulty is if you intend to keep your handlebar counterweights, which most here will recommend. You will discard the caps that come with the ISO's and need to enlarge the hole at the end of the throttle side grip to about 1 inch to allow you to reinstall the pressure grommet that secures the weight without binding against the grip. I used a tapered reamer in my drill press to do this, then added smaller rubber grommets to fill the gap between the end of the handlebar and the weight. I also used my Dremel to clean up burrs and to remove the ribbing on the throttle wick. Just take your time and know that the end product is both comfortable and great-looking.
[/img]
As a side note, I don't understand why other posters and the instructions refer to loosening the throttle cable; I found this unnecessary- the only challenge was removing the spacer ring on the inner side, which is secured by a thin o-ring, and it can be picked out with a stiff wire or dental pick.

·
Registered
337 Posts
a couple'a more things....

I used a t-handled Allen wrench to loosen the old grips, and got them off without wrecking them. Remember to keep the handlebar pointed downward while you work on that side to avoid having the pressure grommet nut fall down into the middle of the bars. Should this happen, the best idea I heard is to blow it out with compressed air from the other end. To get the pressure grommet out ( on the throttle side, you really don't have to take it out on the clutch side unless the nut drops out when you try to reinstall the weight mounting screw), I made a tool out of a length of coat hanger that had a 1/4" 90-degree angle on one end and a loop on the other. This would let me ease it through the diamond-shaped hole in the grommet, then pull it gently on out.

·
Administrator
16,391 Posts

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
What everybody else said.

Watch the screw turns on the bar end weights....Generally only about 2-2.5 turns is necessary or you'll be posting one of those "something fell down into my bars" threads (yep, do a search. It happens).

Find some other adhesive that gives you a bit more time. I used golf grip tape...Went to a local golf store and they guy just gave me some.

IMHO reinstalling the bar end weights isn't necessary. Some do...some don't. Is it practical or aesthetic? That's up to you.

Similar to using an allen key to remove the LH grip is a coathanger. Cut a straight piece of wire coathanger, and then make 2 90* bends (kind of making an "S") . You can then "crank" it using the "handle" and it will walk it's way around the bar and break the glue.

The hardest part for me was getting the throttle cables worked out of the little grooves. I probably just didn't have the perfect tool, though.

Lastly, search something like, "ISO and install" and you'll find these and many similar tips. You can do it!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
very easy to do . I didnt even bother to glue the left side grip on . some may disagree with not gluing it but it does fit very snug . ive never had a problem and if I need to take it off for some reason I wont screw it up .

·
Registered
785 Posts
The tires , your grips and seat are the contact points that give you control and comfort.

The satisfaction of doing this yourself has little to do with the 20 bucks the shop charges. Just do it; the tips alone in this thread will be plenty of excellent explaination !

BTW-I did my install 3 days ago-DID NOT GLUE LEFT GRIP - will ride a few times, the fit is snug AND...I can adjust to where I think is best.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I too did not use the glue that came with the grips. In my case i reinstalled the weights and the weight on the left grip will keep the grip tight. Also i had a problem getting the return cable back in the channel. Broke a small piece off the one side when trying to get the return cable back on. Fixed it with a bit of weld-on epoxy. Have a new set of ISO grips sitting on the bench. May never have to use them as the one i fixed works good. Sofar anyway :).

Henry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts