Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 02 Volusia 33,000 miles and I did a valve clearance adjustment(×4). Now when I start it up it knocks on the rear cylinder top, erratically .... I can pull the plug boot off and it stops......

Any help please

After the first adj I ran it till fan kicked on (warmed up) ,each time and the noise is still there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok done and the are on right also checked oil a lil low and filled, still there.

02 volusia, 33k miles, straight pipes w/full heat shields, all stock, white with 1/2 the chrome blacked..

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Did you rotate the engine COUNTER CLOCKWISE from the left side of the engine where the timing marks and rotating nut are located?

Did you, at anytime, rotate the engine in the opposite direction. doing so puts slack in the timing chains and does not allow for accurate valve adjustment in the proper crankshaft location.

Did you rotate the engine to the individual timing marks for the front and rear cylinders?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes rotated counterclockwise... did rotate backwards once but cycled thru a few times correctly ....and yes rotated to r-t and f-t cycling past the marks twice each time..

02 volusia, 33k miles, straight pipes w/full heat shields, all stock, white with 1/2 the chrome blacked..

·
Registered
206 Posts
hmm, from my experiences knocking noises after a valve adjustment is from me doing it wrong. I didnt rotate from r/t to f/t properly. I used a long screw driver in the spark hole to guarentee proper TDC alignment.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to be raining for the next couple days here where I'm at but I'll get out and tear it down and setting again... I'll try to get a sound clip uploaded

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
It's going to be raining for the next couple days here where I'm at but I'll get out and tear it down and setting again... I'll try to get a sound clip uploaded

When you set them the first time, were they all tight or just kinda random - out a bit from the others?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The exhaust had a little extra play in it then the intake but I thought that would be normal since it was at eight and four

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The knock is very random and then it will stop for a little bit and start right back.. But the whole removing the spark plug boot and it stops and kinda gets me confused..

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
The exhaust had a little extra play in it then the intake but I thought that would be normal since it was at eight and four

So they all had some clearance.... and the clearance was within the spec ranges listed in the book for exhaust and intake.....

What method are you using to determine the exact clearance..... the ''friction'' method where you estimate how much effort it takes to slide the gauge into the gap?

or

The go-no-go method where you use the .003" and the .005" to set the gap at .004" ---- The .003" goes in easy and the .005" won't go at all........ you then know you have .004" gap.

You should use this method to determine the actual clearances of each intake and each exhaust BEFORE you make any adjustments.....

I highly recommend this practice and this method to make the MOST accurate settings.

Take your time and know what your starting point is before you loosen the locknut.

Recheck after you have retightened the locknut because the locknut can turn the adjusting screw and change/reduce the clearance you THINK you have set.

Don't stop until you have both the intakes at the same exact gap and both the exhaust at the same exact gap. Both heads need to have the same settings as well.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there a trick to the front exhaust, to make it any easier to get to.. the left side gave me tons of trouble

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Is there a trick to the front exhaust, to make it any easier to get to.. the left side gave me tons of trouble

I know it is tight. Small hands will help but mine aren't that small... I made some tools shown in this thread..... http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/191622-valve-adjustment-tools.html

I should probably up date it some day.... but it shows the basics... you can use a #2 square socket screw head to turn the adjuster instead of making the tool like I did.....

The feeler gauges are very brittle and break if you try to bend them so I anneal them with a butane torch near the point where the bend will be - let it cool and the bend is easier to make. It doesn't affect the measurement or the durability.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Man I hate you are having trouble. I've posted a long thread today with one result being to adjust the valves. And I'd like to. But this vague voodoo maybe it's adjusted stuff scares me. And I've built many small block Ford engines. Good luck...I'll be watching to see how this works out.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to try to go at it Wednesday I should have time. But first to fab better tools.... (the credit card one don't work..

Fyi
having the right tools help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I'm going to build me a shop this week I'm tired of dealing with Mother Nature.. NEED A ROOF

·
Registered
43 Posts

Boomer1:
Take a look at my post and photo over in the original "stickied" thread here:

http://www.volusiariders.com/58-motors-transmissions-drives/194819-how-guide-adjusting-your-valves-101-pics-vid-14.html#post2981625

I found that by loosening the two 12mm chrome bolts on the left of the front cylinder you can lift that chrome cover and get to the front valve cover bolt more easily from the left side of the bike, if that's what you're asking about. If you mean the actual valve clearance screws, then I don't have any advice other than to put on your little hands, and don't drop anything down into the abyss...

-RenHoek

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Renhoue

Thanks for the write up. I'll try that first thing tomorrow.
But what is real funny is that I found it about 5mins before you left your post to me.

THIS IS A GREAT FORUM . For the diyer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
what i did with my feeler gauges is i took them off of the holder. Had to drill out the rivet. Then i bent it in a Z shape as best as i could without snapping them. This allows me to not have anything pulling down the feeler and shaped to fit into the valve assembly area.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its been t-storms here I'll let y'all know, the outcome hopefully today

1 - 20 of 56 Posts