Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a way to disable the kickstand kill switch. My stand keeps moving willl riding and it is shutting down the bike. This is not a great thing when you are going 70 down the E way. :evil:

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
superglue? epoxy? duct tape?

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
You could always trace the wire harness up into the frame and find a spot where you could cut, strip and wire nut the the two wires together. Soldering and shrink tube would be better. I jumped out the clutch safety switch by making a small u-jumper out of 18 ga copper wire and plugging it into switch connection at the grip.

·
Premium Member
14,500 Posts
CzarOfKatmandu said:
It would probably be better if you fixed the kickstand instead.
Having your kickstand down while doing 70 down the E way is also not a great thing.
+1 but worse when you take that left hand exit with it down.....
Replace the spring on the kickstand

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
v0lusia said:
CzarOfKatmandu said:
Having your kickstand down while doing 70 down the E way is also not a great thing.
+1 but worse when you take that left hand exit with it down.....
Replace the spring on the kickstand
can you say pole vault?? :shock:

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Windburn Bill said:
CzarOfKatmandu said:
Why didn't I think of that? :oops:
because this is the CUSTOM MODS and not HELP

·
Registered
7,112 Posts
Teddybearfrmhell said:
Windburn Bill said:
CzarOfKatmandu said:
Why didn't I think of that? :oops:
because this is the CUSTOM MODS and not HELP
I remember now. The question asked was "how do I disable the kickstand switch".

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just got an '09 C50 and while I had it on a jack, I accidentally broke the outer spring on the kick stand. I tried riding and the kickstand bounced a bit - enough to kill the engine.

Many years ago, I recall a similar problem - only one spring on my Honda 450, which rusted thru, and it also had no interlock. So being the ingenious person I was - and broke to boot, I used several rubber bands - dah!!! Well after riding a few days of course the bands let loose while I was riding in the city and I wound up jammed on a left turn - not a good thing.

Back to the '09 C50 - the spring cost $3 from my dealer. I wouldn't take any chances.

Greg

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Update... I just added a third spring to the set. Hope it works. Not much room down there and the hook pointis are not that long to accommodate three return springs...

I'm having problems with the KS switch. I've isolated to the springs and have replaced with generic springs. Dealer does not have the two that are on it and will need to order, matter of 7 days. I ride daily for work and cannot wait. I've replaced one of the springs with a close facsimile of the original and the KS still drops slightly while on the highway. I do not have a problem on city roads, just highway speed. I've disconnected the switch harness thinking that will take it out of operation but engine still dies when I put it in gear.

Do I have to cut the wires and wire together to jumper it? I completely understand the safety aspects to the switch etc. just need to get it running for work. The problem is not the switch its in the stand springs. I had to hold it against the switch last night to get home on the freeway. Everytime I relaxed my leg and put it on the running board, the KS dropped slightly and interrupted the engine. When I looked down,the KS was leaning out and I used my foot to anchor it in place and the engine continued to run. I've got both spring off and they look ok, visually inspected only. No way to test pull the strength of them. They are not out of shape? They look like brake shoe hardware return springs on a car or truck. I went to a couple of Auto stores and they don't have in stock. In a kit only and special order. No way to determine length, diameter and pull strength.

·
Super Moderator
30,910 Posts
Usually the switches are normally open, which means that when nothing is pressing it, it goes to an open state and when you press the switch it closes. This would mean that to disable it you would hotwire the leads on it, or jumper the switch. A multimeter and a couple of presses on it would tell you which leads.

For safety sake, however, I have to agree with everyone else, don't bypass the switch, figure out how to kick the kickstand up. Some bungee cord would probably work great. That way, the worst that would happen is that you would forget to put it down. It would dent the bike, but you'd be alive to cuss about it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Usually the switches are normally open, which means that when nothing is pressing it, it goes to an open state and when you press the switch it closes. This would mean that to disable it you would hotwire the leads on it, or jumper the switch. A multimeter and a couple of presses on it would tell you which leads.

For safety sake, however, I have to agree with everyone else, don't bypass the switch, figure out how to kick the kickstand up. Some bungee cord would probably work great. That way, the worst that would happen is that you would forget to put it down. It would dent the bike, but you'd be alive to cuss about it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks Whiskey. Using bungee is not an option that I want use. Does not give me a way to release it at a stop. For now, I've placed a third spring in the two set arrangement. That has stiffened the KS movement when I kick it down to dismount. Seems like it should hold it up better and remedy the issue. I've seen that video of a rider crashing when he left the KS down. Not something I want at all.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just order the correct spring , then use the bungee to hold up the ks by hooking one end to the lower end of the ks and hooking the other end up higher . to lower ks unhook upper end..

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Just order the correct spring , then use the bungee to hold up the ks by hooking one end to the lower end of the ks and hooking the other end up higher . to lower ks unhook upper end..
Thanks. What I've done and not yet tested on the highway where the issue has presented itself, is stretch a third spring to the two that exist there already. Dealer did not have the exact set but did have one spring that was close enough for govt. work. If you have any experience with the KS springs, there are two. One that sleeves inside the other. I put the new one inside the outer one and then I stretched the third one alongside the others. Rode a few miles yesterday afternoon and seems to work. When I stop and use my foot to lean it down, it's rather tight. In fact, it will spring back up without the bike weight on it.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
When I stop and use my foot to lean it down, it's rather tight. In fact, it will spring back up without the bike weight on it.
I would certainly think that would do until you can get new oem springs.

ronayers.com has always seemed to be pretty good and getting parts for me, usually quicker than my dealer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts