Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Volusia VL800. When I raise the kickstand, it slams into the lower engine cover. That cover is chromed plastic and takes a beating. Is there an adjustment or a stop somewhere that I'm not seeing? Seems like there should be a way to prevent that. Thanks for any info or recommendations! Have a good weekend everyone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just looked at my 03, there is a tab that operates the kill switch but that isn't what stops the kick stand. There is a flat spot in the mount that the stand goes up against and leaves about 3/4 of an inch to the case. Is it possible your side case is not seated or is your kick stand bent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input

here's a pic of how mine looks - slightly different but pretty much the same. i got the bike about 6 weeks ago and 10 days later had a minor mishap involving motorcycle versus concrete curb...very likely the stand is bent, but it made that thunk sound even before. i'll replace the kickstand and go from there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Based on your photo I think you actually bent the mount where the kickstand attaches to the frame - a new kickstand may not solve the problem. The rectangular housing that holds the kill switch should be parallel to the frame - yours looks like it's angled inwards. How hard did you hit the curb?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good question - it happens fast! Briefly, I was at an intersection going left, took it too wide, did everything wrong - looked down, panicked, looked at the rapidly approaching curb, hit the brake, held on. I'm guessing I might have been going 15 or less. Anyway, the front wheel was on the sidewalk, the rear tire on the pavement and we slid sideways probably less than 10 feet in a mostly upright position. Yeah, the bottom of the frame took some ugly scrapes as we slid along that curb. Tried to keep it upright, but ultimately had to let it lay on it's side (the kickstand side) as it came to a stop. Sustained minor road rash on my left knee. Pretty embarrassing at a relatively busy intersection at 5pm on a workday...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Good question - it happens fast! Briefly, I was at an intersection going left, took it too wide, did everything wrong - looked down, panicked, looked at the rapidly approaching curb, hit the brake, held on. I'm guessing I might have been going 15 or less. Anyway, the front wheel was on the sidewalk, the rear tire on the pavement and we slid sideways probably less than 10 feet in a mostly upright position. Yeah, the bottom of the frame took some ugly scrapes as we slid along that curb. Tried to keep it upright, but ultimately had to let it lay on it's side (the kickstand side) as it came to a stop. Sustained minor road rash on my left knee. Pretty embarrassing at a relatively busy intersection at 5pm on a workday...
Yikes! Glad you're OK. In my book that qualifies as a crash.

I suggest putting the bike on a jack stand (get one at Harbor freight - about $60) so the weight is off the side stand, remove the side stand and inspect the mount checking for cracks or visible damage. See if you can straighten that mount.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts