Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an '02 Volusia. Looks great. Previous owner lost the keys. After figuring out that you need a T40 security socket (or wrench) to take the ignition cylinder off, and struggling for about 30 minutes to fit my big hands in there, it succumbed to my wishes. Was kind of hoping there would be a code printed somewhere on it for the locksmith. No luck. Plan now is to go to a locksmith with the key blanks that should arrive tomorrow and tell them to do their magic. Guessing they'll need to cut a line in those two headless screws and back them out, then look at the disks (not the right word) in the cylinder and make me some keys! Question I'm asking myself ... I'm seeing complete new sets of locks and keys (ignition, gas cap, helmet lock) for under $200. Should I just save time and go that direction? Share your experience please. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Have you tried calling a locksmith and asking them if they think they can do it and what it might cost? I've never been in that situation, but that's where I'd start. I tend to think that just buying the new set would be the best way to go at this point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Going with all new has one challenge. I'd need to either pick or drill out the gas cap lock. Picking requires some tools and luck. Drilling inevitably creates metal filings in the gas tank. My go-to local locksmith brick-and-mortar has closed up due to Covid. Looks like I'll be paying a mobile locksmith to come way out here. Will post results shortly.

·
Super Moderator
21,093 Posts
another reminder to all to have some extra keys available....and yet some will say yeah...tommorrow.

Have you tried ebay for a replacement ignition cylinder...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tag with your phone number or works number on main key.
Spare key, (with code if possible, hahahaha...yea, right.) taped to the inside of the plastic wallet,
where the paperwork should be.
When I went on journeys or rallies, I had my Missis safely attach a spare key to the inside of her jacket.

·
Registered
280 Posts
You bought a bike with no keys? Did you get a clear title?
If so, go to the dealership with that info, VIN#, etc.. They'll check to see if it's stolen.
If not, they should be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

If you received no keys and no title, you got bigger problems.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Good luck!
Have you managed to get it started at least?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You bought a bike with no keys? Did you get a clear title?
If so, go to the dealership with that info, VIN#, etc.. They'll check to see if it's stolen.
If not, they should be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

If you received no keys and no title, you got bigger problems.
Good luck.
Just talked to my local Suzuki Dealer (Kent Power Sports in Kyle, Texas). Told them my situation. Got a Volusia. Got a title (VIN). Got no keys. They cannot get a key code from the factory. If I could identify the original dealer, that dealer might have the code stored in their records. I'm the third or fourth owner, so that's not possible. Kent said the best thing to do is try a locksmith. Failing that I could order a new key and lock set (ignition, gas cap, helmet lock) through them. Price quoted was $435. HOWEVER ... these locksets are on backorder nationwide. He said there is only one dealer in the U.S. that has a total of 1 (one) in stock.

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear, but knowledge is power. With Suzuki corporate eliminated, its down to an aftermarket key set via eBay or Amazon, or a locksmith.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Could always bypass everything and hide a toggle switch somewhere.
But then again, there is that pesky gas cap.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I find my best luck with locksmiths comes by telling them, "Your competitor said he couldn't do it."
Usually gets the competitive juices flowing.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why I mentioned stolen bikes...It wasn't to accuse...Not at all. It's just a leftover reaction:

I used to frequent a scooter forum some years ago when there was a new scooter resurgence.
Scooters, being so lightweight and easy to just throw into the bed of a truck, were easy targets for thieves and many new models had a built-in immobilizer systems which would disable the scooter unless the original, chipped, keys were used. Unfortunately, the thieves didn't know this, so the scooters got stolen anyway. (Often later getting ditched when the thieves found that without jumping through very specific hoops, some of which could immediately determine the scooter was stolen, they couldn't get a new system or keys which were only available from the dealerships. They'd often just ditch the scooter when they realized they ended up with a hobby horse instead.)

Anyway, A lot of posts started coming in from people who lost their keys.
It soon became apparent that a lot of these requests were from the thieves themselves and as a result, they were given the hairy eyeball, so to speak.

You should contact the person you bought the bike from and offer him some incentive to start looking under the couch cushions, maybe a cash reward...if he finds them pronto.
In truth, if he found them, he should pony them up for nothing, but if it gets you the keys at a low price, you could save yourself some aggravation.

Or you might try contacting this guy based on this post I found on the forum:

I lost my key once. Had ridiculous quotes to get one made. 350-500. Didnt have the code called 427 locksmiths till I got in touch with this one cat. Told me to pull the whole ignition assembly and take it to him. 10 minutes and 50 bucks later, i had 2 new keys.
Good hunting!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So much knowledge acquired today. Still don't have a working key.
Should probably rename this thread "What To Do When You Lose Your Keys"
To recap: I swapped for a 2002 Volusia where the previous owner lost the keys. I'm the third or fourth owner, so whatever the key code is AND wherever the bike was first purchased is lost to time (If I had either of those bits of information, replacing the keys would be easy) . That circumstance eliminates any help from Suzuki corporate.
I've called several locksmiths. All but the last one said they couldn't (wouldn't) help. This last guy told me any locksmith can do it, but it is a long painstaking task and folks just don't want that business. He quoted me $335 to make the first key, $3 per key thereafter, and $55 to travel to my home. Seeing as I swapped a guy a shotgun for the Volusia, I'm a little slow to pull the trigger on $400 for keys.
More interesting stuff ... I did manage to get the key/ignition cylinder off. I'm a few minutes work with a Dremel tool away from pulling the actually locking mechanism out. Watched a fascinating YouTube video today from a guy was stuck in my exact spot. He showed how to put a key blank into the locking mechanism, tap down on the little notches (fingers) that line the outside (and make the key unique), then file down the marks made on the key blank until you can insert the customized key into the locking mechanism and all the notches lie flush. Yes, its sounds like artwork with a file. It also sounds like the first several attempts might end in failure. Is my time and frustration worth $400?
Tried another route, went looking to purchase a new/used ignition cylinder. Found one, I thought. Turns out it was from an '07. I have an '02. The parts look identical until you get to the wiring harness. Somehow in those 5 years they went from a 6 wire harness to a 4 wire harness. So ... that won't work.
As for the concern of getting the old gas cap off without a key to do so ... I let my frustration show a little today. Laid a wee bit of sheet metal on top of the gas tank to protect it. Put a screwdriver under the lip of the locked gas cap and SNAP, it came off. Lost a piece of plastic in the tank, but figuring that will easily rattle out tomorrow when I pull the tank. A replacement gas cap and key can be had for $14 to $35 online. I can live with carrying two keys at this point.
Tomorrow I will continue to search for a new/used '02 key cylinder. As for the idea of filing down keys for the current ignition cylinder ... I hate to think about the hours I might spend trying to hand-file a key, but knowing who I am there's a strong possibility that will be my weekend's entertainment.

·
Super Moderator
21,093 Posts
personally I'd take all this aggravation as a sign to piece out the bike and whatever money you make from it invest it into another bike...have to wonder how many other issues you are going to encounter once you get the thing started...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fixed it. Got myself a salvaged ignition cylinder, with key. Opened it up. Took the locking mechanism from that one, put it in mine. Now it at least turns over. On to the next hurdle (not enough lines for the fuel petcock).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
personally I'd take all this aggravation as a sign to piece out the bike and whatever money you make from it invest it into another bike...have to wonder how many other issues you are going to encounter once you get the thing started...
Agreed, but I like puzzles. I'll give it little more time and energy.

·
Super Moderator
21,093 Posts
nothing wrong w/putting together puzzles like these...they can make for a good escape from the real world even for just a short time...keeps the mind active and the challenges can be fun and rewarding...keep us posted as to how the progress comes along...good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks ... new/next task is to identify where the heck the fuel pump is hiding. Its not under the battery box, like the manual says. Of course I couldn't tell that until I'd torn it all down.

·
Super Moderator
21,093 Posts
should just ask in the help section...save yourself alot of time and grief...then again its in those searches you discover many things you'll eventually need to learn where they are located.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts