Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have one? I sat on one at the dealer and was really impressed. I'm curious what kind of gas mileage it gets. Also curious if it is equally or more comfortable than the C50. Gas mileage isn't a huge factor for me but I can't justify buying a bike that gets under 30 miles per gallon. If anyone has one I would appreciate your honest opinion about it's positives and negatives.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
gary 262 has a old one.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't been able to find a dealer around here willing to let when go for a test ride and I am hesitant to buy a bike I have not ridden.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I rode an 86 Connie for 16 years. Great bike, but I got too small for it! 50 mpg cross country, 42 in town, 39 when blowing doors off GoldWings and Beemers. (which it did quite handly).

The new bike is heavier and more powerful. Expect low 40s max. low 30 around town.
~FF~

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frederickson Flier said:
I rode an 86 Connie for 16 years. Great bike, but I got too small for it! 50 mpg cross country, 42 in town, 39 when blowing doors off GoldWings and Beemers. (which it did quite handly).

The new bike is heavier and more powerful. Expect low 40s max. low 30 around town.
~FF~
Thanks

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Don't forget that you'll have to use high octane gas as well.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You'll find a ton of Concours info at www.concours.org, the venerable Concours Owners Group. The new bike is much more powerful than the '94 Connie I had - and it's about the same weight. As Sport Touring goes, the old Connie was more toward the tour side, the new is much more toward the sporting side. If you want to go really frickin' fast in some comfort, the 14 would be a bike to look at.

Way faster than my old butt needs to go....

My previous ride:

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Yep sat on a new one at the dealers today.... Big sticker on the tank Premium fuel required.
That is what the sticker on the tank of the M109T said too...
Decisions decisions decisions....

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
The older Connie has high compression but only requires an 87 octane.
There is something different on the new 14.
I'm willing to bet they get around mid 40's just like their predecessor. That won't change much but the high octane? Gotta be a catch somewhere. It's got to be able to run off a lower octane unless they are talkin 11:1 compression. My '86 has 10.2:1 and runs off 87 octane. It's recommended.
I would say go to the COG and see if you can find the mileage there. I know brochures and factories say one thing but reality is the riders know best.
If you decide on one of those 14's.... Have a freakin ball with it. They are so sweet and comfortable. And FAST. I'm super impressed with the 10 but I here the 14 is even better.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Traded my C50 for the Concours 14 last August. Average mpg is 38. There is really no way to compare the two bikes they are totally different animals.

If you ride the C14 make certain the thing is pointed the direction you want to go when you twist the throttle because it will GO!

Curt

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Garym262 said:
The older Connie has high compression but only requires an 87 octane.
There is something different on the new 14.
I'm willing to bet they get around mid 40's just like their predecessor. That won't change much but the high octane? Gotta be a catch somewhere. It's got to be able to run off a lower octane unless they are talkin 11:1 compression. My '86 has 10.2:1 and runs off 87 octane. It's recommended.
The Kawa website says the the 2008 compression is: 10.7:1

I guess that is close enough? :lol:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input. I want to ride one before buying it but obviously I am having some problems in that area. No one rents them around here and none of the dealers will allow test rides unless they are used. No used ones in the area.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hagaandaz,

Some years before I ended up with what I ride today and before the C14 came out I tried to find a ride on the older Connie from dealers. I struck out every time and where I'm not trying to discourage you I'd just say spend some time looking for owners willing to let you try their Connie out as well. That ended up being my only avenue here. Good luck.

Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts