Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
16,360 Posts
Yes if you did anything with your pipes.

·
Super Moderator
58,788 Posts
If it flows any freer than the lean running junk they put on the bike stock you need to compensate.

·
Registered
19,693 Posts
Yes, you will need a tuner. No, it will not make your bike faster. It will however use more fuel and lighten your wallet by a considerable sum.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Yes, you will need a tuner. No, it will not make your bike faster. It will however use more fuel and lighten your wallet by a considerable sum.
Which brings me back to all the research I've done, and just ask, why bother?

Reactions: danimal

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m not trying to get more power just the filter is about the same price as the k&n element but not cleanable but don’t want to put a tune in the bike and lower mpg anymore then it’s already

·
Registered
19,693 Posts
The K&N does a wonderful job of letting more air into the engine on the compression stroke. It does so, by doing an exceptionally poor job of actually filtering the incoming air. Independent tests have proved time and again that high-flo, reusable filters like the K&N fail miserably at their intended purpose. The result is a huge amount of small particle dirt and debris that gets stuck to vaporized oil from the filter, which then clogs your throttle body and intake runners. The mess isn't pretty. Save yourself the time, money and aggravation. Just stick with the OEM filter. Besides, the replacement interval is every 12,000 miles. Most motorcycles never SEE 12,000 miles in their lifetime before they get traded. By the time you replace the OEM with the K&N and install the necessary fuel processor, you'll have to buy a lifetime of OEM filters and then some.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my last bike I had to change the filter every 8-10k do to the dirty sandy roads down here in Florida and put 80k on her before trading her in for this bike I ride a lot about 100 miles a day

·
Registered
19,693 Posts
Do the math. If you keep the bike for 80,000 miles then you are investing in 8 air filters. 8 times $35 is $280, which is still less than what you would spend for a K&N and a fuel processor. And the oem filters will do a substantially better job of filtering the dust, dirt and sand that you just mentioned. There is zero advantage to slapping a K&N in these bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The result is a huge amount of small particle dirt and debris that gets stuck to vaporized oil from the filter, which then clogs your throttle body and intake runners. The mess isn't pretty
So. I think i am actually having this problem. I wish i had known about it beforehand this past winter, but i saw a few videos online and thought it was a good idea. :brick:
Thanks for posting the info.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
12k miles.....??? I'm doing that every 10 months.

Rv

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm assuming that most of this same information would hold true with a Baron Big Air Kit. I had myself pretty much talked into the Big Air Kit, but now that I've dug a little deeper and read a lot of comments here, I don't think that the relatively small boost in horsepower is going to be a worthy tradeoff.

·
Registered
19,693 Posts
The Baron Big Air kit uses a K&N style filter. By the time you pay for the kit, the processor, the pipes and find a usable tune for the bike, you've spent a bunch of $$$ and gained all of 5 hp. Save your hard earned cash.

Reactions: DallasJoe

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Baron Big Air kit uses a K&N style filter. By the time you pay for the kit, the processor, the pipes and find a usable tune for the bike, you've spent a bunch of $$$ and gained all of 5 hp. Save your hard earned cash.
Yep, and that is the same conclusion that I came to. I already have Cobra pipes, but I would have to get the processor along with the kit since I am no longer running stock pipes. Just too much hassle and money to gain a small amount of hp. If additional power was that important to me, I would just buy a more powerful bike and be done with it. Plus, I've heard that the "sucking" sound from upgraded air kits can be kind of annoying. I'm going to just add that money to my custom paint job fund. :grin2:

·
Registered
861 Posts
The C50 is what it is. No matter how much money you throw at it you aren't going to gain much. Enjoy it for what it is, if not get something bigger.

·
Registered
244 Posts
K&N=fraud

I have used them, but no more. I read too many bad things about how they let a lot of fine dirt into the engine.
I have stayed with paper on all my vehicles.

A lot of race cars use them, yes-but those engines are torn down and rebuilt after they run a race. In those cases, K&N might make sense. Heck, some race engines might just window screen for a filter.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The only performance mods worth doing IMO are aftermarket pipes (for the sound only they wont change performance) and the C90 drive if you do a lot of highway miles/touring. Fuel processors are only worth it on bikes which are purposely massively detuned from the factory, and so upgrading the intake and fueling will net you noticeable gains, like pretty much all Harley Davidson models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts