Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So, was thinking about putting a high flow or K&N filter on my bike when the new pipes and PC arrive...was wondering, is there a K&N filter that fits in the football? and I thought I read a while back that you would have to increase the size of the holes in the housing or something..any thoughts?

cheers
DSB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
K&N is a direct replacement for the stock filter (but you must rejet/pc). The Uni Filter fits directly over the carb for the 'naked jugs' effect.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,389 Posts
Hannover said:
K&N is a direct replacement for the stock filter (but you must rejet/pc). The Uni Filter fits directly over the carb for the 'naked jugs' effect.
correct about the K&N

Uni is not making a filter that plugs on the c50 air intake up under the tank but some people have made their own out of Unifilter material. They do make one that works on the carb'ed Volusia


Do a search for naked (or nekkid) jugs you's see alot of info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,281 Posts
K&N advertises that using their filter in a stock housing does not require re-jetting or a PC for the FI. I haven't tried one but that is what the company says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
v0lusia said:
Hannover said:
K&N is a direct replacement for the stock filter (but you must rejet/pc). The Uni Filter fits directly over the carb for the 'naked jugs' effect.
correct about the K&N

Uni is not making a filter that plugs on the c50 air intake up under the tank but some people have made their own out of Unifilter material. They do make one that works on the carb'ed Volusia


Do a search for naked (or nekkid) jugs you's see alot of info.
Sorry about that, I haven't been keeping up with the FI's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,389 Posts
Hannover said:
v0lusia said:
Hannover said:
K&N is a direct replacement for the stock filter (but you must rejet/pc). The Uni Filter fits directly over the carb for the 'naked jugs' effect.
correct about the K&N

Uni is not making a filter that plugs on the c50 air intake up under the tank but some people have made their own out of Unifilter material. They do make one that works on the carb'ed Volusia


Do a search for naked (or nekkid) jugs you's see alot of info.
Sorry about that, I haven't been keeping up with the FI's.
I just caught that the other day in another post :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,030 Posts
Duffy said:
K&N advertises that using their filter in a stock housing does not require re-jetting or a PC for the FI. I haven't tried one but that is what the company says.
your bike will run like crap...it'll be too lean and I don't think the c50 has the ability to self-adjust the mixture....you may need to add a new computer module....I'm a carb/vol guy myself, so maybe someone else will pitch in if there's a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Let's all be honest to the guy, the K&N filter replacement doesnt fit like it should. It says it does, and it fits like 99%, but come on.. we all fought with the friggin rubber plate it's on trying to get it behind the football. Once it catches, and you smush it, yea it fits :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
56,265 Posts
The guy at the dealer told me the other day that sometimes stock filters breathe better than K&N's and don't waste your money on them. How true it is I have no clue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
beezer said:
The guy at the dealer told me the other day that sometimes stock filters breathe better than K&N's and don't waste your money on them. How true it is I have no clue.
Ask yourself, "Does the dealer sell K&N products?" If the answer is no, then there is the reason he wants you to stick with stock. Unfortunately, due to many pasts experiences (with cars and trying to purchase a motorcycle recently), I've come to the conclusion that many of the dealer's employees opinions are just that, opinions, unless they give it to you in writing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,387 Posts
beezer said:
The guy at the dealer told me the other day that sometimes stock filters breathe better than K&N's and don't waste your money on them. How true it is I have no clue.
There are several valid arguements about the actual 'filtering' quality of the K&N vs. the OEM filters but I have never heard anyone say that they flow less air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,212 Posts
There have been TESTS upon TESTS in the auto community on K&N's filtering ability and it's unrestrictive air flow. Pretty much the deal is, K&N's move more air and filter less than stock. Stock moves much less and may filter more, but really, they are more restrictive.

I've seen the tests where the K&N (compared to stock and AMSOil filters) flows as much air as the AMSOil (maybe a bit less), but filters less than both. The insides of the intake manifold was dirtier than with stock and AMSOil filters... but it does flow a good amount of air.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top