Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a K&N filter, but it says not to modify the bike.

Threads here say to rejet.

WHAT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO?

Ok, read the thread and I gotta rejet. Which kit? Cobra? Vance and Hines? Does it matter?

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Vince, K&N allows more air to the carb. You need to rejet or you'll be running VERY lean. Get some jets and bring them and the filter to DR's house next week.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
Trust the experience of hundreds (thousands?) of people on this site that have the K&N and plan on the rejet. Running lean can cause engine damage (the valves to burn out).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Before you rejet take a look at my gallery. The jets from Mcarbs arrived yesterday afternoon and I'm going to my shop to install them today. That is a stock rear section from the vol with a K&N filter, a 1" by 1/8" aluminum strip around the inside edge to hold the mesh and a stainless steel mesh cover.

I blocked off the rear holes in the cover and this thing can pull air across the entire face of the cover. The guys at Mcarbs were great to work with. they had never heard of an installation like this but worked with me to figure out the jets.

I'll post the jet sizes this afternoon on the custom mods forum under "custom air handler"

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I tried running my bike with the K&N without rejetting. It ran like crap. Took the K&N out and put the stock filter back in till my jet kit arrived.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you're going with the K&N go to www.motorcyclecarbs.com and click on the volusia kit. They ask what pipes you are running, the elevation you live at and the filter or air handler you're going to run and send you the appropriate kit. If they have any questions they will call you and talk to you so they get it right. Great guys and reasonable price, $25.00-$35.00.

The rejet is not hard at all. Go to www.therusks.com and click on brian's vol site. under how to information click on rejet.pdf. It has instructions and actual pictures of the process.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you install the K&N - you need to rejet.

If you know what pipes and intake you will stay with, and want to "set it and forget it" - go with motorcyclecarbs.com @~$25.

If you aren't sure what your final intake and pipe combination are going to be, get the dyno jet or some other jet kit with several jet sizes included @~$80.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts