Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N installation, does every one feel you have to rejet just for that simple installation only? Does it really supply that much more airflow that you have to rejet. Please as many as possible with experience respond cause I was heading out to get one this morning on sale at the local dealer.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have already ordered my K&N. I have a friend with one and one who had one and both had to re-jet.

I also talked to the dealer I use and a friend who does tuning and repairs to metric bikes. So I did the research and yes you will need to re-jet. If you go to the Dynojet website or Motorcyclecarbs.com you will find information on the options and suggested kits.

There is also a sticky at the top and links to the Rusk's website in the forum for good info. and assistance.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes, pretty much. You will not want to run very long without doing the rejet. The bikes are very lean from factory and will cause the leanness to get worse. In turn this will cause the engine to run hotter and possibly cause damage over time. I found that my bike with the K+N only at highway speeds would start to loose power at around 75 mph. It was like the bike had nothing left to give. Basically it was starving for fuel to mix with the air and after only a couple hundred miles my front pipe started to turn blue........contacted the dealer and was told that the front cylinder was running hotter and could cause damage to the valves if it wasn't corrected. I re-jetted and now it runs like a raped 800cc should, at 80mph it still has some pull to give with choking out. Sorry for this to be so long. Scott

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply, to me doesn't seem worth the cash to do both for such a slight power gain. Just my opinion though... I'm going to hold off on that for now.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
A typical stage 1 upgrade (K&N filter, aftermarket exhuast, and rejet/remap) is well worth every penny. It allows the engine to perform the way it was designed to, instead of how the EPA wants it to. With the filter selling for under $40 and a rejet kit available from Motorcyclecarbs.com for $25, you can debaffle the stock exhaust and have a significant increase in power at an incredibly low price.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
I put the K&N in the airbox without a rejet and the bike ran like $hit. I took it back out till I could rejet. Now it runs great.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
575 Posts
Dynojet .

155 main jet
37.5 pilot jet
3rd notch down on the needle
2-1/4 or 2-1/2 turns back on the mixture screw
180-185 km/h no problem. Well, 185 down hill with the wind behind you heh heh.

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
michael erochko said:
thanks for the reply, to me doesn't seem worth the cash to do both for such a slight power gain. Just my opinion though... I'm going to hold off on that for now.
Holding off on one or both? If you do the K&N without the rejet, you WILL be dissapointed. Heed the advice of hundreds who've done it over the years, do the rejet too.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The rejet is EEAAASYYYY!!!. Go to www.therusks.com and click on Brian's vol site. He has instructions and pictures of the whole process. I rejetted mine in about 35 minutes. Then I rejetted it again and again and I have to go back in one more time. Custom air handler with K&N, pics in the gallery.

No vOlusia, I haven't hit the jets right yet but the new ones should be here tomorrow from motorcycle carbs. Did a throttle chop and it was still running a little rich, going down in size.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I am curious what jets you are using now. I guess with just a screen the air inlet is now huge.

I am really wanting to do something with the football but I am not sure about Thunder and Hyperchargers. I kind of like to build my own too.

·
Administrator
29,580 Posts
Yes, you should re-jet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey crochammer!

I'm still in process on this mod. I am currently running a 165 main and a 50 pilot. It's still running a little rich and I am waiting for new jets to arrive. I' m going to try a 155 and a 45. I think that will do it.

I love the way it looks and it is out of the way of my knee. I took it up the Blue Ridge Pkwy on Saturday. It's not pulling as hard at the high end as I want but it's close.

I'll post the final jet sizes when it's right.

·
Premium Member
14,389 Posts
jhallock said:
Hey crochammer!
I'm still in process on this mod......
jhallock said:
No vOlusia, I haven't hit the jets right ......
See it wasn't just me waiting..... :lol:

·
Registered
480 Posts
OK OK vOlusia, I get the point. I'd have it done and posted if MCCarbs hadn't recommended a 42.5 pilot. They were waiting for it to come in from Mikuni and it took a week for them to find out Mikuni does not make such a thing. They are sending a 45 instead.

I'm ttthhhhiiisssss close :D I'll also be posting an aluminum billet drop for the rear pegs. I mocked it up in plastic yesterday and hope to start machining it today. Puts the pegs forward about 2 1/2" and down about an inch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I put on Straightshots a while back and waited until yesterday to so the re-jet. I used a Dynojet kit and followed their instructions to the letter. 155 main, no pilot change, 3 1/2 turns out. The bike started on the first try, isn't cold natured anymore and has much more power and better throttle response throughout the entire range. If I had known how much power I would have picked up I would have done it on day one!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a question on rejetting. I bought a used 03 Volusia that has a K&N in it. How do I know if it has been rejetted? I see the carb plug has been drilled. Didn't buy from previous owner so no way of finding info from him. Do I have to take carb off and check? If I do that what should I look for then.

·
Registered
187 Posts
mtpocketsad,
You could check the plugs first before tearing the carb apart.
if your plugs are tan or blackish in color then its been rejetted.
if your plugs are white then it probably hasn't been done.
Do you notice a severe lack of power the faster you go?
I took mine for a ride with the K&N in it before re-jetting and couldn't get over 60mph, it would buck and jump like crazy.
I immediately put the jet kit in and it runs great now.
Sorry i don't know the factory jet sizes but i think the main is about 128 and the pilot is about 27.5. these are guess's though.

Good Luck
sandcast69

1 - 18 of 18 Posts