Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Coming home this morning, traffic came to a complete and abrupt halt ahead of us. We sat for a while and eventually started moving slowly around the bend. What I saw chilled me and it still bothers me. Three riders failed to negotiate the curve and went off the side of the road. The man nearest to the highway was laying on his side, with his right arm pointed straight to the sky, with the left side of his head missing. His passenger was laying in a crumpled heap at the base of the tree that they hit, her head caved in just above the forehead. From the looks of the other two riders, I don't think they made it either.

I'm sick to my stomach right now, trying to get this image out of my mind. I don't know who they were, but they undoubtedly left some family behind.

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Super Moderator
9,213 Posts
Oh, Christ.

Skrap, the title of this post is 100% correct.

<<Hugs>>

Reactions: NateDog 62

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
sad to say, but like anyone who rides w/o a helmet...its ones personal choice even knowing the potential consequences that may be around every corner. And I lay blame on the passengers as well...especially in todays times where nobody out there really gives a dam about the other guy on the road. A helmet may not make a difference in certain cases but it will give you a much better chance.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Coming home this morning, traffic came to a complete and abrupt halt ahead of us. We sat for a while and eventually started moving slowly around the bend. What I saw chilled me and it still bothers me. Three riders failed to negotiate the curve and went off the side of the road. The man nearest to the highway was laying on his side, with his right arm pointed straight to the sky, with the left side of his head missing. His passenger was laying in a crumpled heap at the base of the tree that they hit, her head caved in just above the forehead. From the looks of the other two riders, I don't think they made it either.

I'm sick to my stomach right now, trying to get this image out of my mind. I don't know who they were, but they undoubtedly left some family behind.
Sorry you had to see that. That type of thing can take the pleasure out of riding a motorcycle, for a while. I started riding on the street when I was 14. You could ride a bike 100cc or less with no more than 10 hp. You also had to wear a helmet. Everyone had to wear a helmet, it was Oklahoma state law. Since I grew up wearing one, I had one on when I was about 24, and finally had that life changing accident. The helmet saved my life. The 4 inch crack in it said so. Oklahoma changed the law somewhere along the way. You no longer have to wear a helmet. You just have to wonder......... Why?

·
Super Moderator
62,497 Posts
Woke up to grinding and someone saying stay down stay down. There was a 2 motorcycle/car accident 75 yards away. I got up and got dressed to go check it out. No fatalities .

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
hope no one was seriously hurt...

·
Super Moderator
62,497 Posts
They were in their 40s wearing shorts, t shirts and sneakers. The guy on the sportbike collided with the car and had a hole in his knee as well as holding his toes with his sneaker off. I didn't see any blood there. The other guy laid his Harley down when he saw what was happening. He had a prosthesis from the right knee down and was missing many fingers past the 1st knuckle from his palm due to many tours overseas and evidently an explosion. He had road rash on his arm. A disabled vet.

·
Super Moderator
23,202 Posts
sounds like the vet made out ok if road rash was the worst of it...wearing shorts when riding...see it all the time this time of year...another one of those hope you don't go down and go for a slide...infections from an open wound can be fatal...but like riding w/o a helmet...some just think it'll never happen.

·
Registered
20,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I slept like shit last night. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw what was left of the man, with his remaining eye blankly staring at the sky and his white muscle shirt stained with his own blood. I kept seeing the look of hopelessness on the face of the person who had witnessed the accident and was standing over the body weeping. When I checked the paper this morning, the second rider died on the way to the hospital and the third rider AND PASSENGER were in the hospital. The second passenger, I never saw. Evidently, she was the only member of the group who wore a helmet and suffered serious, but not life threatening injuries. The highway patrol cited excessive speed and unfamiliarity with the road as the cause of the accident, as the entire group was from north central Ohio. Three lives snuffed out in an instant because of a mistake and a lack of protective gear.....

·
Super Moderator
29,490 Posts
Oh damn, Skrap. That's horrible! I'm so sorry you saw that, I can only imagine how bad it was. You've got to dress for the slide, not the ride.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Skrap, if that sleeplessness keeps up (and maybe even if it doesn't), I can't recommend enough talking to someone about it. In 25 yrs with Fire and EMS, I've been there/done that, it helps.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
9,213 Posts
Skrap, if that sleeplessness keeps up (and maybe even if it doesn't), I can't recommend enough talking to someone about it. In 25 yrs with Fire and EMS, I've been there/done that, it helps.
These ^^ are wise words, Skrap.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Very sad indeed! So sorry that you had to see the carnage and as a result became a collateral victim. Dearly hope this incident will not impact you severely. I wear shorts but they are under my mesh pants! Always wear a jacket with armor. Wouldn't think about not wearing a helmet. When I was young I rode my 750 Suzuki on the interstate from Tampa to Miami. Shorts and T shirt! Now how stupid was that!! I was lucky nothing bad happened and I got smarter! The AGAT posts on here certainly influenced me to wear the gear. I cringe when I see biker babes on the pillion with string tops, shorts and maybe sandals. The road rash alone is too horrific to imagine.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had an off when I was younger.
........ the road shaved the left side of my helmet flatter than a witch's tit.
I wish I had kept it now, to show people.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Had an off when I was younger.
........ the road shaved the left side of my helmet flatter than a witch's tit.
I wish I had kept it now, to show people.
Yep, My helmet had a 4 inch long crack in it, after my bike totaling yard sale crash. Had short term memory problems for about 3 months after the wreck. I kept the helmet for several years, but it disappeared somewhere along the way. I'm real sure i would have been dead without it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts