Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share what Mark Zimmerman wrote in an email about the JPaige method:

Mort,
I've been checking push rod Triumph valves like that for years, and think it's a fine method of obtaining the correct clearance, whether you're adjusting tappets, valves or lifters. I didn't realize Volusia guys were doing it, which just goes to show you there really isn't anything new under the sun. Thanks for sharing the tip, it's a good one.
Take care,
Mark Z

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
jpaige wrote:
Throw away the feeler gages, back off 1/8 turn for intakes, 1/4 turn for exhausts.

If you do the math, you convert the pitch of the screw into degrees of rotation.

.75mm pitch = .02952756" per revolution = .000082" per degree
intake .003" to .005" = 36-60 degrees (call it 45)
exhaust .007" to .009" = 85-109 degrees (call it 90)

Sooo, to achieve the clearance for the intake valve, loosen the lock nut, screw the tappet down until it touches the top of the valve, and then back it off 45 degrees (1/8 turn) Same thing for the exhaust, back off 90 degrees (1/4 turn).

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
18,342 Posts
oooooooooooooooooooooooo.k. :shock:

i'm sure that all made sense to those who understand what the heck is being discussed in the first place :lol:

is all greek to me

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
wehrd1 said:

i'm sure that all made sense to those who understand what the heck is being discussed in the first place :lol:

is all greek to me
valve adjustments

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Crap Colleen, visit someplace other than the damn playground every once in awhile. :roll: :twisted: :wink: :lol:
wehrd1 said:

is all greek to me

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
shooterrex said:
jpaige wrote:
Throw away the feeler gages, back off 1/8 turn for intakes, 1/4 turn for exhausts.

If you do the math, you convert the pitch of the screw into degrees of rotation.

.75mm pitch = .02952756" per revolution = .000082" per degree
intake .003" to .005" = 36-60 degrees (call it 45)
exhaust .007" to .009" = 85-109 degrees (call it 90)

Sooo, to achieve the clearance for the intake valve, loosen the lock nut, screw the tappet down until it touches the top of the valve, and then back it off 45 degrees (1/8 turn) Same thing for the exhaust, back off 90 degrees (1/4 turn).

Ride Safe,
Rex
This is the way we did the Moto Guzzi...However, at least we could get to everything really easy!!! We didn't have to do it that way. Feeler gage fit easily with those Guzzi's!!! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
OK, I'll bite. Who's Mike Zimmerman :?:

·
Registered
785 Posts
jpaige said:
OK, I'll bite. Who's Mike Zimmerman :?:

Ooooooo.... somebody doesn't read Motorcycle Cruiser magazine!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
So a published author is in the same boat.... I can deal with that. (pat on the back)

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hijack!----

Hey Jeff, interesting sig line. Care to elaborate 8) Sounds like a cool trip>

Jim

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My brother and I are heading for Deadhorse Alaska, taking the entire month of July and then some. Heading up the west coast to Washington, then cutting inland to Seattle to see my aunt. Then north to Vancouver B.C., Taking the eastern route up thru Dawson city, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, The Klondike Highway to Dawson Creek, Top of the world highway. Stopping of for a night with Wild AKMoose just south of Fairbanks. Then 4 days up and back to Deadhorse, 400+ miles of gravel each way, 300 miles above the artic circle.

Deadhorse, also known as Prudhoe Bay, is the farthest point north you can travel by "road" in North America, on the shore of the Artic Ocean. This is the northern tip of the Tip To Tip Ride. The other tip is Ushuia, Argentina, the most southern most point you can go in South America. But that's another trip... and a couple of years away.

Then coming back thru Anchorage, and taking the western route thru Whitehorse, the Steward highway down to Prince Rupert, and taking a ferry to the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Another Ferry at the bottom end of the island to Port Angeles. Tour the Olympia Peninsula, then head for Portland, OR. From there, head for Lake Tahoe. Then on to Yosemite National park. Another stop in Squaw Valley, and a final push to my brothers home to Temecula, CA. 8500 road miles, averaging right around 300 miles a day. Approximately 1500 miles of "unimproved" roads. Should be a nice little trip.

-edit-
Actually, I'm going to start a new thread, and end the hijack here.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
jpaige said:
My brother and I are heading for Deadhorse Alaska, taking the entire month of July and then some. Heading up the west coast to Washington, then cutting inland to Seattle to see my aunt. Then north to Vancouver B.C., Taking the eastern route up thru Dawson city, Watson Lake, Fort Nelson, The Klondike Highway to Dawson Creek, Top of the world highway. Stopping of for a night with Wild AKMoose just south of Fairbanks. Then 4 days up and back to Deadhorse, 400+ miles of gravel each way, 300 miles above the artic circle.

Deadhorse, also known as Prudhoe Bay, is the farthest point north you can travel by "road" in North America, on the shore of the Artic Ocean. This is the northern tip of the Tip To Tip Ride. The other tip is Ushuia, Argentina, the most southern most point you can go in South America. But that's another trip... and a couple of years away.

Then coming back thru Anchorage, and taking the western route thru Whitehorse, the Steward highway down to Prince Rupert, and taking a ferry to the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Another Ferry at the bottom end of the island to Port Angeles. Tour the Olympia Peninsula, then head for Portland, OR. From there, head for Lake Tahoe. Then on to Yosemite National park. Another stop in Squaw Valley, and a final push to my brothers home to Temecula, CA. 8500 road miles, averaging right around 300 miles a day. Approximately 1500 miles of "unimproved" roads. Should be a nice little trip.

-edit-
Actually, I'm going to start a new thread, and end the hijack here.

Man! If I ever found myself unemployed, that's exactly the type of trip I would take. Unfortunately it'll be another 12 years before I get that much time off in a row at my current employer. :roll:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Are you trying to make us jealous :D Not fair, but sounds like a cool ride. Bet you'll take lots of picture for us right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts